5.0 Windsor into an EF XR6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2003, 14:27   #1 (permalink)

5.0 Windsor into an EF XR6

I'm living in the UK, I've got an EF XR6 which is nice, but am keen to drop a V8 into the old girl. I'm guessing its been covered before in these forums but I can't find it.. If so please feel free to point me in the right direction.
The car is a manual, so I was wondering will the 8 bolt up to the manual, or does the gearbox prop-shaft etc need to be changed. I'm thinking of a mid 90's Mustang(95 or earlier) or similar for the donor car as there are a few of them around over here or its pretty cheap to get the stuff from the states.
Basically would like to know how tricky it is to do this conversion,any pointers would be appreciated
Cheers
UKfalcon_owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2003, 15:27   #2 (permalink)

Re: 5.0 Windsor into an EF XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKfalcon_owner
I'm living in the UK, I've got an EF XR6 which is nice, but am keen to drop a V8 into the old girl. I'm guessing its been covered before in these forums but I can't find it.. If so please feel free to point me in the right direction.
The car is a manual, so I was wondering will the 8 bolt up to the manual, or does the gearbox prop-shaft etc need to be changed. I'm thinking of a mid 90's Mustang(95 or earlier) or similar for the donor car as there are a few of them around over here or its pretty cheap to get the stuff from the states.
Basically would like to know how tricky it is to do this conversion,any pointers would be appreciated
Cheers
UK Falc,
Did a similar swap to the xf using 93 mustang HO motor - it can be done.
The 6 cyl T5 gearbox propeller shaft has to be lengthened 25mm to match any EB - EL v8 bellhousing, eb - el V8 starter motor - bolts straight on to the windsor - same gearbox crossmember - lines up to the hole perfectly. Any gearbox place should be able to do that (lenghthen the shaft). I used a FMS HD clutch from summit racing in the states. Existing cable clutch pedal setup is ok, just use a EB - EL V8 cable to the bell. The engine mounts are different, use EB - EL V8 mounts - a simple bolt on. Not sure whether the EL 6 cyl front engine crossmember is the same as V8 tho - it was on the XF. Your fuel pump pressure should be the same, so just join up the lines to the new setup - I had to get an auxillary external pump and surge tank made up for mine due to inadequate fuel pressure in the standard XF efi, but I think EL 6 & 8's are the same. If you get a 91 - 95 HO motor ex mustang, if you can get a cobra X3Z computer it would be better as this will allow 70mm maf & 65 - 70mm throttle body & 24 lb injectors. Better still would be the cobra upper & lower intake as well, if not, just go aftermarket (summit racing USA). If you have a/c, lines just need to be redirected. Cooling wise, not sure about EF 6 / 8 radiators, but on the XF I used 3 row XD V8 with EL twin thermo's (thats another thing, ditch the engine clutch fan on those particular windsors). Thats really about it.
Old 12-16-2003, 19:03   #3 (permalink)

Why don't u turbocharge your 6? By the time you buy the engine & all the extra bits and pieces for the conversion and fit it all (assuming that you can do the conversion your self & if not that's more money) you could have save a bundle of money. I've spoken to one owner of a EA Ghia 6 cylinder who got AVO to turbocharge his 6. The car is currently making 330kw at the wheels with a T04 turbo & an intercooler on 15 psi boost and the engine is basicly stock with hyperutectic pistons and a small cam. Even the head hasn't been ported or O ringed yet. He has 2 rows of stock 6 cylinder injectors adopted to his stock intake which are operated by a Lynx computer once the boost comes on. By the time you do the V8 conversion it would cost you around the same & you would only have 200kw at the most unless you buy a better intake, heads, cam, injectors...etc and you still wouldn't be making as much power as a turbo 6...... In my opinion don't waste the money and stick with the 6 and turbo the motor.
I8AHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 20:43   #4 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

6 Cyl and V8 cross members are different.
How hard would it for you to get somthing like a Jim Mock kit for you XR?
If you wanted to go down the naturally asspirated line.
It would be a shame to swap it in an XR6 anyway, would you put XR8 badges on it?
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 21:21   #5 (permalink)
100MPH Hunter

I would supercharge it or turbo it, due to the cost of fuel and things over there I wouldn't be getting a thirstier V8......

AUII XR8 (200kw), Silhouette, Body Kit, Hawk Wing, 5 Speed man, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, Genie Extractors, 3" exhaust with twin 3" tips, K & N filter with air scoop, Polished Inlet manifold, MAF & 70mm T/B, T series interior handles & Gear stick ring, Chequer plate, Momo Pedals.
TwinPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 03:40   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIKFD6
6 Cyl and V8 cross members are different.
How hard would it for you to get somthing like a Jim Mock kit for you XR?
If you wanted to go down the naturally asspirated line.
It would be a shame to swap it in an XR6 anyway, would you put XR8 badges on it?
Are you sure the crossmember is different, I know it is in EB-ED because i have done the conversion but I'm pretty sure I was told in the EF-EL the had the same crossmember just different engine mounts.
cogo_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 03:53   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

As far as transmission goes just get the complete box and motor.. I'm sure either way mounts can be made up or brakets for mounts...6 & 8 radiator is the same. May have to change yoke on drive shaft. The eec is totaly different and wire loom may be a hassle as well...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 04:00   #8 (permalink)

the mustang T5's shifter is a couple of inches further forward than the aussie one, I already tried to put one in mine
cogo_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 16:11   #9 (permalink)

Cheers for the pointers guys, guess I best get on the phone and start making some enquiries over the Xmas leave period.
As for strapping a turbo on the 6 not all that keen on that idea as its getting a bit long in the tooth and anyway I just want a V8 (what wouldn't I give to be able to just trade it in on an XR8)

Merry Xmas and a happy new year guys.
UKfalcon_owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 18:59   #10 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Yes mate im pretty sure, but as before, i might be incorrect.

How many kays has the car done?
Might be cheaper to rebuild and tickle it a bit, the distance thing is a pain in the ass.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech