5.0L EF P/S Pump/hoses - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2004, 06:00   #1 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

5.0L EF P/S Pump/hoses

Hey guys just got a few quick questions, don't know if this is the right section but I'm gathering this is where I'll get the quickest response

I've finally been putting my XR8 back together and I can't remember which way the P/S hose for the cooler ran on the drivers side? It's the long metal pipe that goes from the rubber hose along the chassis rail and out infront of the radiator to the cooler, I'm not sure if the pipe has been slightly bent from the accident or I'm just blind and cant see which way it goes. Can anyone give me a detailed description of how it runs, workshop manuals dont mention this anywhere.

Also before the accident the pump itself had a bit of a bearing noise, wasnt really bad but it was noticeable, the fluid in it was jet black, do you think that if I put in some new clean fluid the noise will die down or has it had the dick? I've heard these pumps are quite expensive to replace, is there a rebuild kit you can buy for them?

Thanks a million
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2004, 07:44   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: 5.0L EF P/S Pump/hoses

Not sure about the hoses but it shouldn't really matter which way they go around.

Regarding hte fluid, yes change it and see how it goes. The pumps are very expensive, around $800 from memory. There is a specific Ford PS fluid available called Formula F. I think it's made by Valvoline but its available from supercheap. I found that the best to get rid of any pump noise.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 07:53   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

I would fit it on the return line as there is no or little pressure on this line..The last thing you want to happen is the cooler to split..Exchange these pumps go for $250.. I got a new one a couple of years back cost $530.00 Trade...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 01:22   #4 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Thanks guys, I'll see how it goes with new fluid tomorrow hopefully when I put the new tensioner and belt on.

Also how necessary is the cooler? I can't get a new one from ford or the wreckers. I'm thinking of just getting a couple of joiners and just using some rubber hose to connect the line going from the rack back to the resevoir.

TQE's
Old 10-19-2004, 04:09   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

I don't have one on mine...Never did!!! An extra loop on the return line would help! Like they did with the old XC V8's ...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 04:41   #6 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Rightio then thats sorted, I may just try bending it back to the right shape if time permits otherwise for now it's gonna be a straight through hose.

Hopefully she'll be back on the road Friday

TQE's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech