Ford Forums banner

5ltr harmonic Balancer going!!!

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  blueoval 
#1 ·
I was told from the mechanic after I put my car on the Dyno that my Harmonic Balancer is on its way out and is starting to move! :be:

My question is......Which harmonic Balancer would you recommend other than stock and what brand? I need to do this very soon but I dont want to put a stock one on because of the mods I have on it and also the future mods I plan to do to. (Read signature below) :wnc:

thanks
blueoval

#3 ·
thanks jamesk, I was looking at getting the Powerbond street Harmonic Balancer but wasnt sure how much. $179 ay? I also looked at the Romac ones but they never have any prices given on a website either.

What did it cost you to get it fitted, or did you do it yourself?

#4 ·
$179 was just the first ad i looked at. that was from kb-engine parts mail order ad (03 97206133) they generally have pretty good prices. the romac ones start at around $290.
i just did it myself but it was a differant engine. generally its a pretty easy job though.

#5 ·
Unfortunately, I dont have the time or the experience to do the job myself, so I'll end up paying someone $$$ to do it but at least I know they will do it right the first time and I wont have the head aches!

Thanks jamesk you have been helpful!

#7 ·
Make sure you have correct ballance harmonic ballancer some are 27 ounce / 50 ounce

#8 · (Edited)
ebxr8240 said:
Make sure you have correct ballance harmonic ballancer some are 27 ounce / 50 ounce
What is the difference?

I think I'll end up going for the Powerbond Street balancer for $180 odd. Considering what it can handle and the fact that I'll be going the Powerdyne blower later. I think the part number is PB-1084ST.

EDXR8 - 5 minutes to install ay??? I heard it was a bugger of a job to do from a mate of mine, he said that I may have to take the radiator out and everything. I'll have to check with my mechanic and find out for sure.

#9 ·
EFI engines are 50oz, older engines are 28oz. Just get the powerbond 5.0L EFI ones PN is 1084-ST.

As for the replacement, you have to remove the fan and shroud, undo the bolts that hold the crank pulley onto the balancer, remove the belt and crank pulley. then you just put a harmonic ballancer puller onto it and pull it off, put the new one on and do the bolt up to pull it on, then put the stuff back on. I could do it in 5 mins, but I don't have any shrouds or fans in the way, but even with that, it shouldn't take too much time.

#10 ·
Thanks Grant, I think for my own peice of mind I'll get my mechanic to do it. I dont have a balancer pulley either.

Yes I'll get the 1084-ST. I never replace anything with stock parts, I always get the next best thing or higher even though it may not need it. Dont ask me why, its just a habit I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.