Acceleration issues. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 19:12   #1 (permalink)
Rocket Bird

Garage
confused Acceleration issues.

Well I will get right to it, so here is the issue.

When I am at a stop and push hard on the accelerator the motor seems to just bog down like its going to stall but doesn't, then it picks back up and then starts to move. Also if I have to let off the accelerator real quickly the motor will stall out(this does not happen often but it does happen enough to be concerned)
My question is why would it be doing that? and what can I do to stop it from happening? I will be getting my car out of storage in a few weeks and I will be trying to figure this out, your suggestions would really help me out.
Rocketrockel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 19:47   #2 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage
Re: Acceleration issues.

This happened to another car of mine and a good cleaning to the ignition coils and a tune up seemed to do the job, also replaced the fuel filter and it was somewhat clogged when I took it off. But after all that, it got better. When's the last time you tuned her up?

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
djzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 21:22   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

It has a carburetor correct? Bogging down during acceleration sounds like a bad accelerator pump. The stalling out during sudden deceleration, probably fuel related also. Might be time for a carb rebuild.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:21   #4 (permalink)
Rocket Bird

Garage

Thanks for the responses. I will answer the best I can in a way that should be easy to read lol.

djzx3 This happened to another car of mine and a good cleaning to the ignition coils and a tune up seemed to do the job, also replaced the fuel filter and it was somewhat clogged when I took it off. But after all that, it got better. When's the last time you tuned her up?
-Cleaning of the ignition coils? what would you do to do that?
Well tuning has been an ongoing thing since I bought the car. I have replaced the fuel filter(about 2 summers ago) but it may need to be done again, its not that expensive so I think doing that will be on my list for once its out of storage.

jwko It has a carburetor correct? Bogging down during acceleration sounds like a bad accelerator pump. The stalling out during sudden deceleration, probably fuel related also. Might be time for a carb rebuild.
-Yes its a 2bbl carburetor on my 351 Windsor. I have replaced the power valve. and cleaned the carb and replaced the jets in it. Is the accelerator pump something different?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:44   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Not for sure which carb you have but the power valve and accelerator pump are different.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:17   #6 (permalink)
Rocket Bird

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
Not for sure which carb you have but the power valve and accelerator pump are different.
Jwko I was given a schematic for a Ford 2 bbl carb. I see the difference now.

In a few when I get my car out of storage I now have a nice little list of things to try to fix my issue. The great thing about these forums is that you can get tons of knowledge from knowledgeable people and from people who have had the same or similar issues and already have an idea what to do to fix them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech