Advancing timing - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2004, 22:04   #1 (permalink)
D_XR6 in a previous life

Advancing timing

Can anyone help? How do I advance the timing on my car, an EF XR8.

A lot of people are saying that if you are running on PULP you can advance the timing to 34 degrees for a bit more performace, but only knowing the basics on engine maintanence I was wondering if someone can explain how I can do it?

Cheers

Secretary FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic
www.fpvxrclub.com
New Members welcome
D_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2004, 14:01   #2 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Re: Advancing timing

Okay. Not terribly hard to do, but you do want to be careful doing it, in case you over do it and get pinging etc. Its also a bit of a bitch in that until you wind it back, you need to keep putting in premium (which bites when you get stuck at premium is at $1.10 a litre ).

Anyway, enough of my whining :)

Basically, you need a timing light, and a bit of wire with some alligator clips or very small spade sockets on it, and a spanner (to loosen/tighten dizzy).
General strategy is:
1. Warm up car to operating temp.
2. Turn off car
3. Connect "Self Test" pins on diagnostic connector (in fuse panel near steering wheel)
4. Start car - it should lift its idle to 1300-1600 rpm. At this point it should have removed any spark advance, and ideally be running at 30btdc.
5. Go crazy with the timing light and spanner to adjust the dizzy.

Suggestion is to check that you can see the timing marks *before* you warm the car, and clean / mark them better if needed ( chalk can be handy ). You might need to turn over the motor by hand to find the marks. To set the diagnostic mode / self test, you need to link the two left-most pins in the diagnostic panel (ie left most on top row, and leftmost on bottom row).
e.g
X--------
X--------
With X being the linked pins. There should be a pic and explanation on www.fordmods.com about this as well (look for Diagnostics - EF - EEC-V info).
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 15:44   #3 (permalink)
a vile merchant

That pretty much covers it. It will be obvious if it's successfully in diagnostic mode as it'll start normally and then after a few seconds 'roar up' to ~1500rpm.
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 18:30   #4 (permalink)
D_XR6 in a previous life

Thumbs up Re: Advancing timing

Yeah PULP is a costly bitch, but I run it normally anyway...

Thanks heaps for the info, I will be giving it a go once I get me hands on a timing gun!!!

www.fpvxrclub.com
New Members welcome
Old 04-12-2004, 19:46   #5 (permalink)

Help! I can't find the timing marks on mine, there appearts to be a groove cut into the drivers side of the block, i assume thats the mark on the block side of it? Any pointers on finding the elusive mark ?? :-)

jasonk
jason_k_3431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 21:09   #6 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

I got my timing adjusted last week from 28deg btdc to 32deg. The pick up I noticed was more responsiveness low-mid range, but the pay off was increased fuel usage, my economy has been pretty bad since. Im hoping the computer will re-learn and adjust fuel mixtures to suit.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:11   #7 (permalink)
Rather be drag racing

Remember to keep an eye on water temp.
marcuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 04:20   #8 (permalink)
D_XR6 in a previous life

Yeah I eventually got around to fixing mine and just like yours Blueoval it was 2 deg retarded (28) so i only advanced it to 32 instead of 34. It does ping a bit if I give it a squirt when its still cold, but after it's warm... HELLO where was the power before!!!! Really strong pull in the low to mid revs. I haven't dyno tuned yet, but it feels better, maybe 3-5 rwkws by the arse-o-meter.

If you are running 98 RON fuel, I recommend it as a cheap arse mod.

www.fpvxrclub.com
New Members welcome
Old 04-15-2004, 16:29   #9 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_XR8
Yeah I eventually got around to fixing mine and just like yours Blueoval it was 2 deg retarded (28) so i only advanced it to 32 instead of 34. It does ping a bit if I give it a squirt when its still cold, but after it's warm... HELLO where was the power before!!!! Really strong pull in the low to mid revs. I haven't dyno tuned yet, but it feels better, maybe 3-5 rwkws by the arse-o-meter.

If you are running 98 RON fuel, I recommend it as a cheap arse mod.
Exactly D_XR8, I reckon 5rwkw extra was definitely felt with just this change. But mainly felt in the torque range more than anything. Its amazing now as I can beat VTSS's with a bit more conviction. hehe.

This white VT behind me at the lights last night was giving me a bit of ass attention more than the usual behind me, so I gun it up the expressway foot to the floor assuming this has a 5ltr for sure as he kept up to about 60 then 'woosh', the mid range really kicked in and km by km I pulled away up the hill till he was at least 100m behind. He couldnt keep up. If the car hadnt been tuned I reckon it would have been a hell of a lot closer, possible him beating me. I was really surprised at the outcome and how extra responsive the car had become.

I recommend it to those using PULP on a daily basis. Cheapest power boost Ive ever spent.

Im gonna get it dynoed again at the last place I had it dynoed and see how much of a difference it really made!

Since last dyno, I only had 116rwkw recorded. Im now hoping for 120rwkw with just this change.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech

Related Reading: Advancing timing