Air box lids. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2004, 02:46   #1 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

Air box lids.

Just for those of you who will be chopping up ya air box lids with the almighty dremmel, you might want to consider getting one without the reinforcing ribs in them already.
This one came out of an NC V8 (and had a stock maf attached to it) from a wrecker for $25.
The attachments shows the difference between the two air boxes (not the Maf).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 42.jpg (99.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 43.jpg (100.5 KB, 115 views)
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2004, 02:59   #2 (permalink)
Often has bolts left over

Re: Air box lids.

i was so impressed by the airbox i bought teh whole car :)
Old 12-13-2004, 03:34   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry_v
i was so impressed by the airbox i bought teh whole car :)
Me to. But i took the wheels of the car put them on the airbox & ride it around.
Sold the car to a wrecker but did not get much for it
IT DID NOT HAVE AN AIRBOX

I Like Steve Because Steves My Mate
I.L.SB 1
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:23   #4 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

So did this lid come out only on the NC V8?.... Or did it come out on different models?
Old 12-13-2004, 04:44   #5 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgie
So did this lid come out only on the NC V8?.... Or did it come out on different models?
Can't be sure, but I don't think it came like that from ford. Looks like someone spend a lot of time cleaning the factory one up.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 05:43   #6 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
Can't be sure, but I don't think it came like that from ford. Looks like someone spend a lot of time cleaning the factory one up.
They must have used a steady hand because this lid has not got a scratch on it inside. It does look buffed inside with swirl marks, but the printing inside is still there and the outside looks identical (EECIV).
It has the ford oval printed on the inside next to the part number 91DA-9643-AA (GF NYLON).
It also has the production calender stamped on the inside as well.
The dates are 91-may, jun, jul, sep, oct, nov... and 92-jan, mar, apr and may.

I was shocked to find it as I did not know they existed (not to mention $25 price with maf).
Old 12-13-2004, 15:54   #7 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

I was at dodgie's place yesterday and had a look... no question - it is definately stock. I assume from this that many if not all EA/EB boxes didn't have the ribbing in them. The plastic on this lid is also thinner/softer that the ribbed one.

I'd be interested to hear what EA/EB/NA/NC owners find if they can have a peek in their airbox.

I suspect Ford fortified them a bit from the ED model onwards due to our habit of leaning on the airbox lids all the time (and bending/breaking them).

A cruise around a wreckers should reveal more (EEC-IV stamped lids only though, dammit).

I removed the ribbing from mine last night as a bit of an experiment. I didn't expect much but figured it couldn't hurt (and any idea that supports my addiction to cutting things up is good). Noticed two small differences... car idles a little higher and is quieter. Other than that no noticible difference in performance, however I have only pottered around town.

I wouldn't be suprised if the smallest of gains were had however this would only be something a dyno would detect and not anything you'd really notice.

After I've got a stubborn header leak fixed I might take a 'curiosity' trip to ChipTorque and put Audrey back on the rollers.

Dodgie... we should do this after you have Edna back together so you can get some (expectantly high) numbers as well.
AUGhiaV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 16:56   #8 (permalink)

hey guys ive got the same air box on my car and ive got a k&n airfilter in it i was just wonder ive it would be better for me to put another hole in the box and run another induction system from the filter down into the front bumper. Its already go the standard system which is small is that enough or do you i need more
92 DC LTD5.0V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 17:18   #9 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 DC LTD5.0V8
hey guys ive got the same air box on my car and ive got a k&n airfilter in it i was just wonder ive it would be better for me to put another hole in the box and run another induction system from the filter down into the front bumper. Its already go the standard system which is small is that enough or do you i need more
Unless you have got a number of mods (ie. cam heads etc) just get an EL XR8 snorkle to replace yours. They flow much better than the standard snorkle and are fine upto 160-180rwkw.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 22:01   #10 (permalink)
XR8 & Ford Probe owner

looking around for an lower air box to massacre to fit the SS CAI (did not want to touch the AU2XR8 just in case) got a complete AU Futura one off a wrecker for $30 the different size of the top MAF hole is increadible the stock 6 one is tiny compared to the XR8 one - how do these 6 pac things breath thru that straw so if any one wants a stock EECV lid let me know (Brisbane - Northside)
Will barter for beer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech