Air flow sensor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2004, 21:59   #1 (permalink)

Question Air flow sensor

Hi all.

I have an ef xr8 that has been going like a bit of a slug for a while now. It is strange because when I give it full throttle, it complains. It is quicker at 1/2 throttle than it is at full throttle. The problem gets worse when the weather is hot and when the is car loaded. I thought that it may have been a dirty maf sensor, so i cleaned it with carby cleaner, and reinstalled it. I noticed that when i connected the sensor back up, that the idol of the car didnt change like it normally does. Does this mean that the sensor is not working? Has anyone else had a similar problem?? Is this sensor likely to cause the engine to be sluggish and less responsive??

I have chased this problem down and I think that its either the sensor or the computer.

Also can I put on an AU xr8 sensor onto my car. I have heard they are larger in diameter and breath better. Will my computer be compatible/recognise the Au sensor???

Cheers guys.

P.s has anyone delt with the maf sensors available from CAPA. Are they compatible with the standard computer also?
xr8ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2004, 22:50   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: Air flow sensor

Could be your MAF but could also be a number of other things. I would first make sure you have a good air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and leads and that the engine was tuned properly. Get it on a dyno and check the AF ratio, if your MAF is stuffed, it will show up normally as a fairly lean AF ratio. Check the TPS setting as that being above 1v will make it sluggish down low too, and also check the O2 sensors.

Yes you can use an AU MAF but you need to put your electronics on it so the plug is correct. And Yes the CAPA ones do work, the Vortech ones also need your electronics but the GMS ones come with new recalibrated electronics.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 02:35   #3 (permalink)
Vic
Underachiever in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ted
Hi all.

I have an ef xr8 that has been going like a bit of a slug for a while now. It is strange because when I give it full throttle, it complains. It is quicker at 1/2 throttle than it is at full throttle. The problem gets worse when the weather is hot and when the is car loaded. I thought that it may have been a dirty maf sensor, so i cleaned it with carby cleaner, and reinstalled it. I noticed that when i connected the sensor back up, that the idol of the car didnt change like it normally does. Does this mean that the sensor is not working? Has anyone else had a similar problem?? Is this sensor likely to cause the engine to be sluggish and less responsive??
I have just had my MAF replaced because of a lean AFR even though it checked out ok on the diagnostic in regard to voltage levels. On the dyno the AFR would not lean out when wide open throttle was given, instead the AFR would climb up above 15.
Similar symptons.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:57   #4 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Climbing up above 15 is leaning out...

"Five litres of Ford's finest cast iron!"
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:00   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic
I have just had my MAF replaced because of a lean AFR even though it checked out ok on the diagnostic in regard to voltage levels. On the dyno the AFR would not lean out when wide open throttle was given, instead the AFR would climb up above 15.
Similar symptons.
the higher the number in relation to air/fuel ratio, the leaner it is....
15 at WOT, would be dangerously lean and cause detonation on a efi windsor..
i have mapped the afr's on my au2 xr8 ute, and found them to be leaner on slight throttle, and then seriously rich on wot, just the way the factory sets the ecu's for safety..
optimum would be around 12.5:1 afr, the factory setting is 11:1...or so ive seen with mine and a few others..
Old 05-24-2004, 03:07   #6 (permalink)
Vic
Underachiever in training

My mistake gents. I realised that after reading my post that I had written that wrong. It should have read as " ..the AFR would lean out when wide open throttle was given.."

It was leaning out the more throttle was given and the AF ratio was climbing above 15:1 at WOT.
Old 05-25-2004, 19:55   #7 (permalink)

sounds like a TPS (throttle position switch) on top of the throttle body.........

could be wrong, but definately worth a check.......
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:44   #8 (permalink)

I had a similar problem, leaning out big time, after much head scratching, I pulled out the maf sensor and gave it a clean with a can of carby cleaner. Problem fixed.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Old 06-06-2004, 00:07   #9 (permalink)

I just got a new gms maf sensor and installed it. The problem is fixed. Everything seems to be back to normal. Thanks heaps for the imput guys. You all helped heaps.

P.s there seems to be a noticable difference with the gms maf over the standard one. The throttle response is heaps better.
xr8ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 00:18   #10 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

What was it worth mate?

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech