Argh! Blowback. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2003, 15:25   #1 (permalink)

Argh! Blowback.

This morning i headed out early to try get a few bargians at the sales, After about 15min of driving i noticed a small ammount of smoke comin from under the bonnet. I poped the hood an d it dissapeared. I figured i must have spilt some transmission fluid onto the exhaust last night.
So i drive a bit farther and the smoke increases. I was about 100m from home so i kept goin. So when i get here i poped the hood and what do i see. OIL EVERYWHERE. anout 2 litres sprayed allover the engine bay. This happened about a year ago at a drag meet but there was nowhere near this much oil, and the mechanic didnt find anything wrong and said i must have put too much oil in! It never happened again so i figured he was right.
Over the last few weeks the car has been runnin hot and rough. I only had a service about 3000ks ago. Being the holidays it will be a bit hard to get some1 to look at it straight away so any suggestions of whats wrong and how to fix it would be apreciated, coz im stuffed if i know whats wrong!

Thanks
PHoeNiX_
PHoeNiX_EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2003, 19:15   #2 (permalink)

Re: Argh! Blowback.

Is it coming out from around the oil pressure switch as the seal around these can die.
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 23:24   #3 (permalink)

Very likely that the oil is being pushed out past the rocker cover gasket. You've mentioned that it has been running hot and rough, possibly pressurising sump/oil galleys.

Have you tried taking the oil filler cap off, check if blowing smoke. It may not do it at idle but when revved up.

This would indicate a blowby, either stuffed ring(s) or cracked piston.

Not good news, pay to get it checked out.
xarpo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 00:49   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Check that your PVC valve is working corectly or not jamed shut.Check that other vent pipes are not blocked etc, the crancase MUST vent or breath or it will build up.[Like humans beings after some baked beans]Haha....Make sure timing is set right at idle and advance at higher rpm..
To check rings or for blowby.Needs two people. If its auto its much better/easier.Hanbrake hard on foot on brakes now put auto in drive and stall up motor to put load on engine..You look at oil filler while cap off and check for eccessive blowby..Smoke/ fumes comeing from crancase, what you'll see is blowby that is leaking past your rings/pistons etc..There will always be some but not too eccessive...

Check head gasget etc some coolant may leak into oil/ sump and at high temps the water expands/ evaporates and brings some oil with it..Esp if it's a six..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...

Last edited by ebxr8240; 12-26-2003 at 00:56.
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 04:12   #5 (permalink)

Well, There appears to be no leaks frfom the heasd but i didnt suspect that anyway. When the engine is running now there is some smoke coming from the oil filler hole. The oil is definetly being blown up through the dipstick as it was last time.
Last time we suspected the rings but i had it tested and apparently it was ok. But this time it appears to be it for sure.
So, whats required to fix it? I have about 3 weeks off work so ive got some time on my hands, is it worth doin it myself? Any ideas on cost of parts ect? Or to have it done?
Thanks for the input guys.
PHoeNiX_
PHoeNiX_EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 04:33   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

I have just reconed an ED XR6 with ACL H.P parts.$1100 including machining, ballancing,HV oil pump.. Assembled myself though..Head was ok..
Thanks to Peppertree performance....
R.I.P Possum...
Old 12-30-2003, 04:03   #7 (permalink)
No longer around

trent it was me that pointed it out at heathcote, and i only knew wat hte problem was coz mine does the same thing....... if you find the problem to be simple let me know mate.

it sounds bad that it was "all over ur engine bay" like ya said i couldnt imagine, ugh
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 02:45   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

There is no coolant in your oil is there? As the oil gets hot it turns to steam and looks like blowby and blows oil out with it. Especially when you say its been running alittle hot...
Is it going through coolant???
R.I.P Possum...
Old 01-01-2004, 02:57   #9 (permalink)
No longer around

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
There is no coolant in your oil is there? As the oil gets hot it turns to steam and looks like blowby and blows oil out with it. Especially when you say its been running alittle hot...
Is it going through coolant???
theres no coolant in my oil, i did an oil change just recently and its blowing a lot less oil out the dipstick than before. the oil i dropped had no visible signs of coolant or deposits or anythnig, but it was pretty old and was quite black.

also im not going through coolant at all, and theres no oil in my coolant either, no merkyness in the coolant.

how do i check the PCV to make sure its not that? my car was dynoed not long ago and still had factory rwkw (114rw), so i dont think its the rings else it would be putting out less rwkw than stock?.

its not blowing smoke at all either, so if it was the rings this would be evident by smoke yes?
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech