Au 351w??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2001, 14:39   #1 (permalink)

Question Au 351w???

Can any one please tell my why nobody is using the 351W as a basis for increasing cubic inches rather than stroking the 302W??
Yes I am aware that the 351W is 1" taller in the deck and this would move the heads closer to the towers, but the AUs have 4" more clearance between the towers than XA-XF!
low428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2001, 16:40   #2 (permalink)

The Doc was building an AU1 with a 351w in it. He hasn't been around lately so I don't know how it went.
Old 10-23-2001, 17:52   #3 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Re: Au 351w???

Quote:
Originally posted by low428
Can any one please tell my why nobody is using the 351W as a basis for increasing cubic inches rather than stroking the 302W??
Yes I am aware that the 351W is 1" taller in the deck and this would move the heads closer to the towers, but the AUs have 4" more clearance between the towers than XA-XF!
Easy to explain. No engineering required. Easy to do with the engine you ALREADY have, and no hassles whatsoever with drivetrain mating, electronics etc.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 18:54   #4 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

All that and the fact that roller capable 351 blocks only started being produced in 93 and we dont normally get the donor vehicles (ie 90's F series and Broncos). Also EFI intakes for 351s are relatively scarce over here.

Dont forget the bonnet clearance issues too. Assuming an intake of the same relative height as a 302 version and a 351 block with 9.5" deck height you're looking at 3 inches more height to it.

Also in talking to the Doc some time back he mentioned that although there is space between the shock towers some of the electronics that inhabit the bay would interfere with the larger engine and would have to be shifted slightly or relocated elsewhere.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 22:46   #5 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Well, I know of an EA with a 351W in it.

It basically fell in there. He even used XR-Y type Pacemaker try-y headers which just bolted in.

The only reason it fits under the bonnet is that it's LPG only.

351C's fit very well too. Of course that means a custom intake or a modified 351W aftermarket intake like a TFS-R or Victor 5.8.

Even My XE with XF panels will not allow a 351W to fit under the bonnet. TFS-R intake is 11.5" high from the top of the block.
I'm going to do it anyway though.

I think a lot of people want to get away with doing things without too much work. This is really the reason you don't see more of this type of conversion.
The thing is it's a more durable engine in the long run. It's cheaper to stroke and more durable when stroked than a 302.
Mine will be 391ci with Scat crank $1100 and 020" over 302W pistons $270. Not to mention the massive torque.
Crane make retro-roller cams for all Ford V8's so no problem there. Plus there's a choice of 5 or 6 different intakes.

Pete.
Old 10-25-2001, 18:15   #6 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Read

Speaking of intake heights for these Pete I asked the BXR guys about the height of their's back in May and this is the reply I got:

APPROXIMATELY 9.8 INCHES ABOVE LEADING END OF CHINA ALL ON BLOCK(FRONT SEALING SURFACE OF MANIFOLD TO BLOCK)

Now if you take the leap to the EEC5 at the same type you can avoid the whole dizzy relocation that the BXR requires and possibly even get away without any bonnet mods. Still not as cheap as the TFS jobbie but the difference will be less when fitment issues are factored in.

Besides then you can tell Leon "mine's bigger than yours". :)
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 18:26   #7 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Tell me where to find details of the BXR intake.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 19:07   #8 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Quote:
Originally posted by anakha
Speaking of intake heights for these Pete I asked the BXR guys about the height of their's back in May and this is the reply I got:

APPROXIMATELY 9.8 INCHES ABOVE LEADING END OF CHINA ALL ON BLOCK(FRONT SEALING SURFACE OF MANIFOLD TO BLOCK)

Now if you take the leap to the EEC5 at the same type you can avoid the whole dizzy relocation that the BXR requires and possibly even get away without any bonnet mods. Still not as cheap as the TFS jobbie but the difference will be less when fitment issues are factored in.

Besides then you can tell Leon "mine's bigger than yours". :)
Actually the BXR on the 5.0(leons) hits the bonnet. He's had to make slight bulge. So the 351 BXR would be way up through the bonnet.
The problem with the BXR is not so much the height, but how far foward the height is. My friend Vic with a blown 347 EA says it hits the bonnet of his car too.

I think Ive got the code for enabling pin 24 CID (cam shaft position) on the EECIV. So I may be able to go for an EDIS system and hence no dizzy.
Other wise you can belt drive the dizzy off the front of the engine.

Pete.
Old 10-25-2001, 23:53   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
Tell me where to find details of the BXR intake.
Pete, www.mustangbxr.com
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 02:42   #10 (permalink)
THE DOCTOR

I have a list of problems with the 5.8 fitting the AU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech