au 5.0 parts on older 5.0 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 07:48   #1 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

au 5.0 parts on older 5.0

I have been offered an AU 5.0 motor out of a fairmont for real cheap.
I'm looking to purchase an ef/el v8 in the near future.
I know that ef/el had rubbish heads and intake on them, does the au motor have any better bits peformance wise?
I can easily get cast numbers etc, i'll just need to be told where to look.
Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2007, 00:46   #2 (permalink)

Re: au 5.0 parts on older 5.0

Plenty of good go gear for them

Casting numbers will help you identify what you have.

as an example...offshore Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts | 800-230-3030.
That should give you a heads up what can be done.
There is plenty of knowledge and parts available here in oz. Its just a matter of getting the right advice to match whatyou want to achieve.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:47   #3 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas24zzk
Plenty of good go gear for them

Casting numbers will help you identify what you have.

as an example...offshore Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts | 800-230-3030.
That should give you a heads up what can be done.
There is plenty of knowledge and parts available here in oz. Its just a matter of getting the right advice to match whatyou want to achieve.

Cheers
Jas
Thanks mate, but i wasn't after where or what aftermarket parts to purchase. I am trying to find out if the later model au heads/intake/afm/throttle body etc are any better than the el/ef v8 items.
Old 02-25-2007, 17:26   #4 (permalink)
i'll never grow up

ef xr8 was all eb d engine gear.
the au has explorer intake and injectors, gt40p heads etc go for it . heaps better motor. How much is cheap?
95 Mustang GT 302: VQ-S2 Vortech - Edelbrock Intake - BBK 70mm TB - UPR Boostpipe - TwEECer - Walbro 255 & T-Rex fuel pump - MSD btm - Crane HI-6 - 36# injectors - Pro-m 80mm MAF - Kirban FPR - FMS 9mm leads - FMS 3.73 Gears - Transgo Shift kit - B&M cooler - Saleen guage pod, FMS Boost and FP guages - R/H drive - Eibach Springs - Holley headers, http://www.meales.com.au
gtcoupe95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:35   #5 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

confused Re: au 5.0 parts on older 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcoupe95
ef xr8 was all eb d engine gear.
the au has explorer intake and injectors, gt40p heads etc go for it . heaps better motor. How much is cheap?
What castings do i look for on the heads to identify they are GT40p?
Is there anyway to know if it is an explorer intake, looks very similar to my eb xr8 intake. Injector colour is orange, if that helps.
Do you know if the MAF or throttle body are different sizes? this is a series 1 au fairmont btw.
Thanks for help so far mate.
Old 03-07-2007, 13:53   #6 (permalink)
i'll never grow up

AU had 70mm maf, 65mm TB, 24# injectors. upgrade from cobra intake (EL) to explorer, better headers, coil pack ignition and gt40p heads.
95 Mustang GT 302: VQ-S2 Vortech - Edelbrock Intake - BBK 70mm TB - UPR Boostpipe - TwEECer - Walbro 255 & T-Rex fuel pump - MSD btm - Crane HI-6 - 36# injectors - Pro-m 80mm MAF - Kirban FPR - FMS 9mm leads - FMS 3.73 Gears - Transgo Shift kit - B&M cooler - Saleen guage pod, FMS Boost and FP guages - R/H drive - Eibach Springs - Holley headers, http://www.meales.com.au
gtcoupe95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 20:50   #7 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Thanks mate.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:22   #8 (permalink)
Vic
Underachiever in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcoupe95
upgrade from cobra intake (EL) to explorer
HO intakes were the stock intakes that all EB, ED, EF, EL's got from the factory and these flow the least.
Explorer intakes are originally off the U.S. Ford Explorer SUV's and were fitted to all the AU V8's. They flowed much much better than the HO intakes.
The Cobra intakes are off the Mustang Cobra's and were fitted to the ED Sprint's. These flowed a little better again than the Explorer intakes.

GT40P's have four vertical bars cast into the outside of the cylinder as well as "GTP".

Old 04-20-2007, 10:23   #9 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Thanks for that mate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech