AU 5 Litre Donk prospective.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2001, 15:36   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Lightbulb AU 5 Litre Donk prospective....

OK guys, just gathering ideas. **will say nothing at the moment**

The engine in question is the 175kw basic falcon/fairmont AU V8 how easy is it to unleash more power? My knowledge isn't too great about V8's at the moment.

I know from 175kw to 185kw Tickford put a free flow exhaust and computer tweaks.
I'm wondering where would i go beyond that, or is it a waste of time. Keeping in mind my current EF puts out a healthy dose of power like over 115kw at the wheels. Will this V8/Auto combo be much more punchier than my Manual 6.

What heads does the 175kw have and if i say want to build it to 200kw is it achievable with a relatively cheap budget. Do i have to start mucking around with GT40P heads nad upper and lower intake manifolds.

To sum it up i don't want to go backwards in power from what i have now.

Thanks in Advanced...

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2001, 15:50   #2 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Has the modification bug sunk it's teeth in further????
It all comes down to $$$$$ depends on what you want to achieve.... Have you thought about a supercharger???
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 15:57   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jase_ELXR8
Has the modification bug sunk it's teeth in further????
It all comes down to $$$$$ depends on what you want to achieve.... Have you thought about a supercharger???
Jase,

Nah mate don't want to modify my car any further, just trying to gather up abit of information on a Fairmont V8. Basically like i mentioned i don't want to go backwards. I basically want a stronger plateform, later model car and perhaps make it around 145kw at the wheels in the future.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
Old 12-20-2001, 19:35   #4 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Gaz, you've not done major mods to the existing 6, so there's no way you'd be going backwards with the sort of V8 you're considering. I'd be more worried about your choice of gearbox.
Old 12-21-2001, 03:28   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

I think the A.U has a reasonable inlet? Throttle body & maf are bigger [more flow]. Than prviouse models. I suggest..Or look at..

1: 7 roller rockers,[keep std cam] head tidy up, port and raise compression slightly with GOOD valve springs.Then fuel regulator if 19 Lp injectors to raise fuel pressure.Good exhaust..Should have close to 200 kw engine.. Or more!!
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 05:36   #6 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

As for a beginner how bout the usual... intake & exhaust mods

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 14:50   #7 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Question

Does anyone know for certain whether the non AU V8s run the same heads and intake as AU1 XR8s? MY feeling is yes as the engines are basically the last of the Explorer V8s. If so then getting close to 200kw should be cake if you upgrade the cam, rockers, MAF, thottle body, exhaust and computer tune it. Shouldn't be all that expensive either if the cam is changed with the engine still in the car.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 22:09   #8 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by anakha
Does anyone know for certain whether the non AU V8s run the same heads and intake as AU1 XR8s? MY feeling is yes as the engines are basically the last of the Explorer V8s. If so then getting close to 200kw should be cake if you upgrade the cam, rockers, MAF, thottle body, exhaust and computer tune it. Shouldn't be all that expensive either if the cam is changed with the engine still in the car.
Hmm thats not bad, so to sum it up could i get around 200kw for roughly another $1000 worth of mods after the basic upgrade of exhaust, extractors and intake?

Old 12-24-2001, 15:28   #9 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

EF_Falcon_GuY

Re your intake, are the runners in-line or staggered where the upper meets the lower?

I'd say you'd be up for more like 2k for all the parts and labour. Roller rockers and good cams cost a bit as do aftermarket MAFs.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 17:40   #10 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

anakha:
The cam in a sprint does it actually have less duration to std H.O cam?[The difference is 1:7 R/rockers.So I ask would 1:7 r/r be sufficient? Then heads + bigger valves,throttle body and maf,E.c.u,Inlet too depending on what model your car is.. The Sprint puts out closs to 200 kw.On www.corral.net forums tech/ windsor they discuss/debate this often.Depends how far you want to go!! How serious the other parts have been done.Keep in mind the earlier maf's [air meters] are only 55mm..So 170 kw is excellent!!!Even more so when you see the small ports on e7 heads..Which can be ported ofcourse..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech