Ford Forums banner

au fairmont V8 vs. au XR8 220kw V8?

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ebxr8240 
#1 ·
I realise this may have been asked before but just wondering if anyone to can tell me the difference's between the two motors?! as i would like to know how they made they jump from 185kw to 220kw as it seems there are no huge differences between the two motors...

#3 ·
Any car with different power than another factory car is always going have the computer changed slightly. I beleive that the 220kw motor had 1.72 Roller Rockers, slightly larger intake and exhaust valves/ports (same heads though, all GT40 for AU's). The cam specs are different too, I'm guessing it's due to the grind of a 220 cam to give it slightly more lift and duration. Other than that I'm not sure what else.

#4 ·
When you say slightly modified computer, does that mean just air\fuel ratio parameters or is there more to it?! I have seen alot of talk about this twEECer, what is the go with that, is it only compatible with mustang computers or can it be used on australian versions?! is there anywhere that i could get some information on this twEECer?!

#5 ·
Tweecers are not currently available for AU engines. Computer changes that ford does between models are noramally changes to fuel and timing curves to suit the engine.

Changes between the 185 and 220kw include 1.72 roller rockers, tickford designed camshaft giving more lift and duration, 70mm throttle body, exhaust system and computer changes. Heads are still GT40P heads but the 220kw engines got larger valves, mild CNC porting and were shaved to increase compression. Intake manifold was also port matched to the heads and throttle body.

#6 ·
Raebird said:
When you say slightly modified computer, does that mean just air\fuel ratio parameters or is there more to it?! I have seen alot of talk about this twEECer, what is the go with that, is it only compatible with mustang computers or can it be used on australian versions?! is there anywhere that i could get some information on this twEECer?!
1DDC,1DCE,3DEA,2DCA,2DDA if you have any of these catch codes on your eec, there is full twEECer support.

for more info on twEECer go to www.tweecer.com
or for the aust agent www.icenet.com.au/~pie

#10 ·
How do i find out whether it has this dce or dde or whatever?
there is a sticker on the eec that tells you what you catch code is

AU engines are not supported, those EEC's listed are EB/ED V8's.
very true edxr8, but hope fully soon there might be support for newer eec's

#12 ·
YES Just depends on what heads are on each car as well for each model

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.