Ford Forums banner

AU XR8 Series 1 ignition lead problem

9K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Ratio 3.99 
#1 ·
I recently purchased an AU XR8. Not long after I bought the car it began to hesitate and misfire, under heavy throttle at first then developing into a problem at all throttle positions, even at idle. Anyway the problem was faulty ignition leads. Because the car was still under warranty at the time, the dealership that I had purchased the car from replaced the origional ford leads with a new set of Top Gun leads. This fixed about 99% of the problem. The car is now running fine except for a slight hesitation at light throttle only. I thought that the problem might be the spark plugs so I threw a new set at it also, no difference. I took the car to the local ford dealership and they checked out the engine electronics, all was ok, no fault codes. They said that the problem is being caused by the aftermarket leads fitted and that the only way to fix it is to buy a set of genuine leads, they said that they have seen the exact same problem before with aftermarket leads fitted to this type of engine. When I asked why the Top Gun leads were no good they said that they just cant handle the voltage that the system runs with. A new set of genuine ford leads cost about $820!!!
Has anyone ever had this type of problem before? Any help would be much appriciated.

#2 ·
Ford have spun me this line before too... as far as I'm concerned it's all rubbish. I fitted Magnecores to my car due to faulty factory leads and they crap all over the genuines. Ford said to me "Oh my god don't do that, genuines are much better" - dribble. I've never tried the Top Guns but I do know others who have had them and they haven't caused a problem as far as I'm aware. However, they are at the poorer end of the range when it comes to performance and quality compared to some of the other aftermarket leads. I'd be looking for another cause before doubting the leads. Is your MAF is good, clean condition? How many kms has the car done... might be time for a good clean out and new O2 sensors.

#5 ·
Had a similar, but more intermittent fault with my AU2. Initially Ford said they ignored the fault code because it was a code that normally came up and it wasn't the leads (of course not at that price). Then when a Tickford rep came for a drive with me, it finally misfired after hours of driving. He ordered that a new set of plugs, leads and coils be fitted. It never misfired or hesitated again. Sometime later I spoke to Ford again and they admitted they did have some lead problems. The other thing I had (and a couple of others I know of) which made it go poorly, was a faulty air charge sensor. This was more on general acceleration though.

#6 ·
If you doubt any leads its best to test there resistance..Borrow a multi meter and check both brands of leads..The Ford dealership should have a multi meter, but dought they'll check them in front of you?...Without charging ....Heaps!!

#7 ·
The car has done 91000 kms. The origional leads failed at about 86000 kms. Ive noticed on the top gun leads that the connections on the spark plugs are really loose and easy to pull off, much easier to remove than the other leads, you barely have to pull them to get them off? I was talking to the blokes down at auto one about it & they said that they have had some comebacks with topgun leads lately. I have ordered a complete new set of Eagle leads of them as they said that they have had no trouble with Eagle leads. The Top Gun leads are a spiral conductor type. So are the origionals. If this dosn't work I guess I will have to get a manual and start looking elsewhere, maybee O2 sensors and so fouth as mentioned. The new leads turn up on friday, I'll let you guys Know how they perform.

#8 ·
How much are the new Eagle leads, and what is the kit/part number for the set? I know someone who has a similar problem - I'll let him know if this fixes your problem.

#10 ·
Also try to carby/throtle body cleaner and spray if on the maf and into the throtlebody. Mine had a bit of a carbon build up that was making it a bit doey when just on the throtle.

My leads shit them selves as well. And if Ford fitted those top gun leads under waranty then you should be able to take it back to them most products have a 12 month warranty...

#11 ·
Yeah I inquired about warranty on the leads but because it wasn't a serious problem they didn't seem real interested. The fault was barely noticeable at first so it was kinda hard to proove at the time. It is gradually getting worse. The 3 month warranty has run out now. Anyway they probably only would have supplied a new set of top guns. after seeing the connections on this set, i think i would rather something better.

#12 ·
with out being rude but they saw you coming, if you felt that it was going to become a major problem, they by allrights shoud've looked into it, but instead of keeping on their backs they have gotten out fixing the problem.

#13 ·
mines a series 11 put simular prob ford couldnt fix it after 2 days took it A1 performance they redirected the msd leads instead of the way ford have the standard and put in a set of NGK plugs problem gone.The plugs where shorting to the head you could see the spark at night time when you reved the motor FORD couldnt and still trying to get my money back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.