AUII XR8 diagnostics? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2004, 17:43   #1 (permalink)

AUII XR8 diagnostics?

I have just put some extractors on a mates XR8 and the car feels like it has noticeably more power. BUT the problem is the car feels like it has 2 lag spots in the rev range when using less than 1/2 throttle. These are at 1500ish and 2500ish rpm. With the Unichip was hooked up the car bucks at these points but with it bypassed it feels like a momentary pause. I would like to run the diagnostics to make sure nothing is wrong.

How do you do it on the AU's.

I did it ages ago on a XF with EECIV, is it done the same way with the connectors up near the brake booster??

Also are you able to adjust the ignition timing at all on these engines with the crank trigger setup??

Does anyone know the crank trigger system on these cars work as in how many notches, ref angle, etc, etc.... or where I can get a look at the wiring diagram for it.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2004, 04:12   #2 (permalink)

Re: AUII XR8 diagnostics?

same sort of way it is on a dizzy motor, the crank trigger sensor has a pointer which you can check against the balancer..
they have (aftermarket) adjustable crank trigger sensors in the states for the late model v8's(ohc) but ive also heard that they did on the late model windsors..
have a good look at it, and see what you can come up with, im gonna muck around with mine, looks like the the holes on the bracket can be elongated, that would give it a bit of adjustment either way..
Old 05-31-2004, 21:50   #3 (permalink)
AU3 Falcon XR8 Ute (auto)

Re: AUII XR8 diagnostics?

A bit of info. on the crank trigger setup:

*Sensor is a magnetic transducer type.
*Trigger wheel has 35 teeth, 10 deg. apart with a space where one tooth is missing.
*The missing tooth is 60 deg. BTDC.

To roughly quote a section of workshop manual: "The analogue AC voltage signal from the sensor is then converted in the EDIS processor to a digital PIP signal; this signal is used internally by the PCM, every rising edge signals that the crankshaft is 10 deg. before TDC for a particular cylinder's compression stroke."

I personally didn't think you'd be able to adjust the timing because even if you move the crank sensor, it's still gonna know exactly where the crankshaft is in it's rotation. It knows this because it knows that the missing tooth on the wheel is just before TDC of cylinder no. 1 and the PCM keeps count of the teeth as it rotates so it knows where it is. Because the crankshaft turns twice with every combustion cycle, it also uses the camshaft position sensor as well to keep track of where it is, as the camshaft position sensor gives out one pulse at a point in each revolution of the camshaft. So the PCM always knows where each piston is at any point in the combustion cycle and can constantly adjust ignition and injector timing apropriately. I don't have much knowledge about this however so I could be wrong about being able to adjust it.

Hope that's of some use.

Steve.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech