AUII XR8 manifold vs GT 40 upper - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2001, 19:17   #1 (permalink)
Australian XR8 Member

AUII XR8 manifold vs GT 40 upper

Does anyone have any figures for difference in power/drive nature swapping original (cobra?) manifold to the tubular GT40 upper? Is it worth the money? Any power gain figures? Engine would be 220kw - standard 70mm TB, headwork etc.
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2001, 22:13   #2 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Re: AUII XR8 manifold vs GT 40 upper

Quote:
Originally posted by AUII XR8
Does anyone have any figures for difference in power/drive nature swapping original (cobra?) manifold to the tubular GT40 upper? Is it worth the money? Any power gain figures? Engine would be 220kw - standard 70mm TB, headwork etc.
Standard upper intake manifold on all Windsors since and including the EL2XR8 has been the "Explorer" type manifold. The ELGT is the only exception, as it received the GT40.

Check http://www.nswxrclub.org.au/techlibr...old/intake.htm on our club site for a great writeup on Windsor manifolds.

Ford quote the Explorer manifold as being good for up to 400hp, and the GT40 for about 450hp. Bottom line - they are very pricey, you need a GT40 lower as well, and you are unlikely to find vastly improved gains. I'd be putting the money into something more "meat and potato" like cam change or head work.

:s6:
Old 12-01-2001, 01:34   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

The Cobra lower and the Gt40 lower is the same part #
There are heaps of after market inlets available now at
quite an amount cheaper.. Complete and cheaper than gt 40 top. Depends if you want to keep original. About 230 kw max unless Cobra/ gt40 lower is ported. Or blown etc..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 14:38   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

I had much the same enquiry - I have the 200kw engine and was talking to crow cams about fitting a cam. His advice was to not worry about it and go the gt40p heads from yella terra instead as this is supposedly the only difference between my engine and the T-series vehicles (not T3).

Sound like Bollocks or a fair thing - and extra 20Kw by fitting thise heads? Its only $600 exchange so that's not too bad I thought.
TheBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 17:18   #5 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Upper intake manifolds are not the main area for improvement. It is the lower that makes significant difference, especially the front two cylinders. In my extensive research (there is a previous thread in here somewhere on intakes) the Edelbrock was extremely good, however I ended up going for the TrickFlow Track Heat setup www.trickflow.com which gives very good flow figures and even numbers between the different cylinders.

To see these intakes, look for a thread 'Santa Brings Presents for Aussie Pete's Car' or something like that in the Pub.

As for the differences between the 200 and 220 engines, there is more to it. Of ourse there's the heads with porting and bigger valves plus decking to increase compression, camshaft, throttle body, match porting the lower intake, bigger cats, and of course EEC5 calibration.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 05:52   #6 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Actually guys the best all round intake(in conventional 5.0 style) is the Holley. It consistently out does all the others in mid range torque and upper rpm hp.
Trouble is it only faces the drivers side so it's not as simple as bolting on one of the others. But you know some things are worth moving the airbox for and the boot is a good place for the battery anyway.

Pete.
Old 12-02-2001, 21:05   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
Upper intake manifolds are not the main area for improvement. It is the lower that makes significant difference, especially the front two cylinders. In my extensive research (there is a previous thread in here somewhere on intakes) the Edelbrock was extremely good, however I ended up going for the TrickFlow Track Heat setup www.trickflow.com which gives very good flow figures and even numbers between the different cylinders.

To see these intakes, look for a thread 'Santa Brings Presents for Aussie Pete's Car' or something like that in the Pub.

As for the differences between the 200 and 220 engines, there is more to it. Of ourse there's the heads with porting and bigger valves plus decking to increase compression, camshaft, throttle body, match porting the lower intake, bigger cats, and of course EEC5 calibration.
Wow, that is a whole lot of stuff for a measly 20kw gain. So basically you would be looking at about $5000 for a 10% gain.

Dare I say it but maybe I should have ut the extra 3K down up front and bought the SS ute instead.

How much would it actually cost to take a 5.0 ford V8 to 250kw and beyond? I'd really like to hit that figure but it seems that supercharging appears to the most cost effective option or something weird like a 351 efi swapout.

Now I say this while having no idea about the finer points of engine mods etc.
TheBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 21:16   #8 (permalink)
Shhh, we're hunting Lions

You could always get one of the 5.6L 250kw XR8 Pursuit utes.
Adam W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 21:42   #9 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBow
Wow, that is a whole lot of stuff for a measly 20kw gain. So basically you would be looking at about $5000 for a 10% gain.
Dare I say it but maybe I should have ut the extra 3K down up front and bought the SS ute instead.
How much would it actually cost to take a 5.0 ford V8 to 250kw and beyond? I'd really like to hit that figure but it seems that supercharging appears to the most cost effective option or something weird like a 351 efi swapout.
Now I say this while having no idea about the finer points of engine mods etc.
There's plusses and minuses to both. XR8 gets tray liner, separate tray, space in the cab, six stack CD, better trim and finish overall amongs other things.

To get 250kW I think Herrod charge in the region of 7k. For that, I would go for the stroker any day of the week at around 7k with girdle, however I think it is realistically only around 240kW. However, the torque is where the stroker is at!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 21:56   #10 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

check out page 85 of the second issue of performance ford for prices and packages....
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech