AUII XR8 spark plug gap - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2005, 23:09   #1 (permalink)
ACT FPV-TC member

AUII XR8 spark plug gap

I have an AUII XR8 (220kW) which has been experiencing some problems of late. The biggest problem occured last week when all of a sudden the car started to hesitate and misfire whenever the engine was put under load (even a very small load). After checking some basics a trip to the local dealership saw the spark plugs removed to find that the gap is around 1.7/1.8mm (spec is 1.3-1.4mm). The car has 80'000kms, the last 20'000 of them mine, and neither I or the previous owner have changed the plugs. The plugs were Motorcraft platnium ones part no AWSF32E (left bank) and AWSF32EG (right bank). Is it possible the wrong plugs were fitted from factory?? Has anyone else had this problem??

I have now put in a set of NGK iridium 1.4mm plugs, and it still hesitates but only ocassionally, instead of all the time. The car was showing a "ignition coil primary circuit" fault code before the plugs were changed (i will check to see if that has dissappeared 2moro) but it looks like the leads/coils may have issues also (?).

The guys in the service department were saying that a excessively large spark gap would require the coils/leads to work harder and could have caused problems with those components. If these plugs were fitted from factory, then Ford should be paying for new leads/coils, not me! (the car is just out of warranty)

AUII XR8 220kW manual, Liquid Silver, leather, Momo wheel & stick, sunroof, premium sound, premium brakes, bodykit, tints,
BMC filter, custom air ducting, Pacemaker extractors, high flow cats, custom 3" exhaust...
Oo==oO
Liquid_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2005, 23:25   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: AUII XR8 spark plug gap

You will have a tough time getting to pay for that because who know what the previous owner did etc. The large gaps could also be caused by them wearing down with age or just by being gaped wrong. The factory leads seem to be fairly ordinary with many AU owners needing to change them. If you do need new leads do a forum search because there are better and far cheaper brands out there.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:17   #3 (permalink)

I had hesitation problmes so I got NGK Irridiums and new leads custom made. The leads were $180 odd and FAR superior to the standard Ford item and less than 1/3 the cost. Do a search on leads and irridium and you'll find a couple threads on the best options. These got rid of my hesitation completley.
TKTDSGM Member
AU2XLSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 16:25   #4 (permalink)
ACT FPV-TC member

Thanks for the info guys. The car is in for service today, and i just got a call from them saying that the number 5 plug lead is shorting to the cylinder head (it can be seen when engine running). Hopefully this may explain some of the other problems i've been having also. I asked how much for new leads and he said about $600! Screw that, i'll check the other threads as suggested and see whats good. I'll also check the lead resistance when i get home, it's possible that the resistance is OK, but the insulation is just breaking down a little. By moving the lead away from the head i may be able to prevent the sparking and get by for a few weeks before i can get $$ for leads.

Seeing as there are obvoiusly some problems with the leads on AU V8's it would be nice if ford would pay for new ones but I take it people have tried that without much sucess. I suppose 80'000kms is not too bad for leads. That said, I've been having work done quite regularly over the past few months to try and recify some idle and pinging problems and this work has been done under warranty because i first reported the problem when the car was in warranty (it isn't any more). So if new leads fix these problems too, (which the mechanic on the phone told me it prob would - but they say that shit all the time!) then it should come under warranty!

AUII XR8 220kW manual, Liquid Silver, leather, Momo wheel & stick, sunroof, premium sound, premium brakes, bodykit, tints,
BMC filter, custom air ducting, Pacemaker extractors, high flow cats, custom 3" exhaust...
Oo==oO
Old 01-12-2005, 04:20   #5 (permalink)

Yes i agree. If you get a part replaced or fixed under warranty by Ford i belive it has a liftime warranty as long as you own the car. Ask Ford if i'm right!
Put some rubber insulation aroung the lead until your able to get new ones. There a few good brands out there.
TKTDSGM Member
Old 01-12-2005, 08:04   #6 (permalink)
220kw xr8

if you still have the factory heat shields take them of this can cause earthing to the head.I remved them added ngks and msd leads and the problem went away.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:05   #7 (permalink)
220kw xr8

if you still have the factory heat shields take them off this can cause earthing to the head.I remo :removed them added ngks and msd leads and the problem went away.
Old 01-12-2005, 23:29   #8 (permalink)
ACT FPV-TC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratio 3.99
if you still have the factory heat shields take them off this can cause earthing to the head.I remo :removed them added ngks and msd leads and the problem went away.
Thanks Ratio 3.99, hopefully that will get me through the weekend untill my Magnecor leads arrive on monday! The problem is on the number 5 cylinder, which in my case only has a small short heat sheild that covers only a small 45 degree plug, not a long sheild like on some of the other cylinders. My first approach was to remove this, but it really didn't wanna come off and I didn't want to destroy it. Now that i know the magnecor's don't need the sheilds, I'll just tear it off when i get home!

Oo==oO
Old 01-16-2005, 15:27   #9 (permalink)
ACT FPV-TC member

Magnecor leads fitted and car now running better than ever!

Oo==oO
Old 01-17-2005, 05:30   #10 (permalink)

Problem solved! Good stuff.
TKTDSGM Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech