Ford Forums banner

AUIII XR8 Vibration

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  AUGhiaV8 
#1 ·
I have a bad vibration that seems to be coming from the flywheel/clutch area, it starts at around 5100rpm and goes to 5500rpm, it comes up the gearstick very bad, shakes the whole car.....has anyone else had this problem ?

Also have a clunking in the diff, sounds like too much backlash, when driving around a carpark in 1st gear it continually goes clunk......the ford service people say its normal for a manual to do this, it does it everytime you take your foot off or put it on the gas pedal.....doesn't sound right to me, any opinions, anyone had the same ?

#3 ·
Hard to tell from here...
Check universal joints, make sure there is NO dents etc in alloy driveshaft...
If it has had some hard launch's the spigot shaft may be bent which will vibrate when it turns... Was it o/k before replaced clutch? It maybe out of ballance etc..
The noise could be the steel cover that goes over clutch fork, if not fitted correctly...

#4 ·
M1ke,

Mine bangs and clunks all the time at low speeds - in car parks and the morning peak hour crawl - and yes FORD claimed "it was normal" and we will not do anything about it.
To my understanding it can be removed by adding shims in the diff to take up the lash but as for the vibration it may be the tail shaft because they do "twist" under a hard launch with the 220KW and thay are also balanced - check to see it the weights are still on it but that would be evident at road speed not RPM....

#5 ·
Alan B said:
M1ke,

Mine bangs and clunks all the time at low speeds - in car parks and the morning peak hour crawl - and yes FORD claimed "it was normal" and we will not do anything about it.
To my understanding it can be removed by adding shims in the diff to take up the lash but as for the vibration it may be the tail shaft because they do "twist" under a hard launch with the 220KW and thay are also balanced - check to see it the weights are still on it but that would be evident at road speed not RPM....
same here as for the gearbox :driver:

#6 ·
Alan B said:
M1ke,

Hi Alan

It can't be the tailshaft because if only vibrates between 5100 - 5500 RPM, doesn't matter what speed you go. if I hold the clutch in and free rev it , it will do the same. Can you tell me what yours will rev to before the rev limiter cuts in ?

#8 ·
Try changing the diff oil and add a synth additative, this has fixed problems in diffs that I have had the same issues with in XR's, it seems like their may be 2 problems here beside the clunks in the diff. Take the car out afterwards and drive on full lock a few times in each direction, as for the vibration its difficult to tell but if only at high revs sounds like the tailshaft or assiciated part

#9 ·
M1ke said:
Hi Alan

It can't be the tailshaft because if only vibrates between 5100 - 5500 RPM, doesn't matter what speed you go. if I hold the clutch in and free rev it , it will do the same. Can you tell me what yours will rev to before the rev limiter cuts in ?
M1ke

I think it comes in at approx 6000 tell you the truth I have never hit it on the XR8 I only really go to 5000 - bit difererent to the Probe I own as well redline 7200 cut out 7500 not bad for a V6
Get under the car and try all the mounts and crossmember bolts there may a loose one but apart from that I have no idea where the vibration will be from happy hunting.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.