Ford Forums banner

A bit of confusions over spark plugs...

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  EFXR62 
#1 ·
Well the story goes like this:

Bought the plugs and leads over 2 months ago, got around to swapping them over, got annoyed after doing #4 so I ended up with 1 new plug and lead. All was well.Decided to have a crack at the other 7 tonight. Pulled another plug out and discover the ones Ive been sold are way longer than the ones that are in there. :AAHHH:

Old plugs are: BPR5EFS 15
New plugs are: BPR6EFS

Both are NGK R. The old ones are about
17.5mm from the base of the thread to the top of the electrode and the new ones are about 23mm

Either the old set was hidden in the cylinder head which would have caused some problems or the other set are dangerously close to the piston!

Anyone know the right plugs?

G
#2 · (Edited)
The BPR6EFS plugs are for EB, ED, 5.0L GT and Sprint 10/1992 on and have a 1.1mm gap..

The BPR5FS-15 plugs are for EB, ED, EF, XR8, 5.0L 1991 on and have a 1.4mm gap..

That's what it says in our NGK Book..

The old plus were too short, and still would have fired, but you need the BPR6EFS ones in there. They are the correct size.

#4 ·
Dammit! edit while i reply!

I wonder if there will be a difference with the new plugs. I swore I felt a little difference with 1 new plug and the new coil lead.....

Thanks Yagz, great help! Perhaps ill be overtaking the EF now :p

#8 ·
You don't want to run BPR6EFS on a standard V8 engine otherwise PV clearance is really tight. They are for engines (like the Sprint or GT) which are fitted with GT40 heads where the spark plugs sit up a little higher in the combustion chamber.

Use the BPR5EFS-15 plugs for all EB-EL V8's except Sprint and GT's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.