Bloody 289 ticks like crazy when its cold...is this normal? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2005, 16:48   #1 (permalink)

Bloody 289 ticks like crazy when its cold...is this normal?

My XR's 289 is duel fuel, and i normally run it on gas. It ticks like crazy when its cold until it pretty much totally warms up...is this normal? Should it be avoided? and do i need to get something looked at like valves or something?

It seems to go away when its warm, but it still sounds and feels terrible when its cold.

While im at it, it takes two or three trys to start on gas every time!!! Its an older gas system but surely that cant be normal!?!?!
Young Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2005, 18:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: Bloody 289 ticks like crazy when its cold...is this normal?

Gas is goes very cold once it has changed to the gas state in the converter and relies on the the warm coolant supply to keep things from freezing up, namely the diaphram to prevent cracking, which is why you are supposed to start on petrol first then change over once your running. Because of the nature of the gas set up on some systems, it often takes about 10 seconds of turning over before the gas comes on.
As for the lifter noise, I would recommend you get them checked out. You may just need an oil change.
Old 05-31-2005, 18:36   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

I'd say the engine is suffering from valve recesion..The valve and seat may not be hardened? Or there is heaps of wear in valve gear..Change oil to a not too thick oil esp for winter as it seems bad on cold starts...289's did have issues with cracked pistons but hardly never failed from it...Strange as it may seem it made a ticking noise and got quieter as they warm up......
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 18:53   #4 (permalink)

Im pretty sure the valve stuff is hardened and has been done properly to cope with gas and unleaded petrol too...but it mayhave been done as far as about six years ago when the gas was done. Ive only had the car for about three or four months but as far as i know it hasnt had the valves redone since it was done with the gas six or so years ago.

What sort of oil is a "not too thick" oil?

Thanks guys...lots of help :D
Old 06-01-2005, 00:32   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Yea not 100 % sure on exact visc.But 10/40 or 15/50 for winter....If you have crap oil filter oil can drain back and engine takes some time to purge air out of system...I'd take rockers off and check valve clearance??
If oil is or has been dirty a pre oil change additive can help..
R.I.P Possum...
Old 06-12-2005, 18:26   #6 (permalink)

Well i changed the oil to Penrite HPR 30 as recommended by a fellow ford V8 enthusiast/mechanic friend of mine and it seems like the ticking has gotten worse. But this same guy listened to the noise and said that its a lifter tick. After that oil change the tick didnt actually go away once it was warmed up totally it is still there a bit!!!!! Its gotten really bad though now when its cold, its a very sharp tick and sounds shocking.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:23   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Angus
Well i changed the oil to Penrite HPR 30
Bad idea.....

As for the noise, if the noise is still there after 30 seconds you have a lazy lifter or two.
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:16   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO-083
Bad idea.....

As for the noise, if the noise is still there after 30 seconds you have a lazy lifter or two.
Okay well im all ears, what oil should i put in there do you think? Cos i think the new oil made it tick more!
Old 06-13-2005, 03:48   #9 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Take the rocker covers off and check clearance between valve stem and rocker? Check the fulcram / pivot point in rocker it maybe warn?
R.I.P Possum...
Old 06-13-2005, 16:13   #10 (permalink)
dalesf150

have you got cast exhaust manifolds. my f150 has cast manifolds with a crack or to in them. there is a fair bit of valve noise untill it warms up and the manifold expands. although engine oil shouldn't effect that. just a thought
dalesf150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech