Ford Forums banner

"BOSS"?

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  302xm 
#1 ·
ok I'm a Cleveland fan but when a V8 engine is given to you you grab it, and yes its a Winsdor 302 I think.
Now tell me what the hell is a BOSS engine? and is there so where I can get pic's, because after readin ur tech forum you guys are talkin about Cleveland heads bla blah. How do they fit on, not that I would do that to this engine, should much like a ford runnin HEMI heads, lol
Thanks for any help fella's :hy:

#2 ·
well excactly where would you like to start?
A BOSS 302 engine was produced by ford to compete in the trans am racing series in 1969.It was only in production in 69/70.
It was a hybrid engine using the canted valve heads from the soon to be released cleveland engine on to a 302w 4 bolt block.
They ran 4v heads,solid cam,780 holley and dual point distributor form factory.
It is easy to recognise a boss 302 as it uses the cleveland heads which are much larger in profile than the windsor heads.Of course they run a special intake manifold of which there are aftermarket versions available.
One way to identify an original boss 302 block from the outside is that they use screw in core plugs instead of the traditional knock in type.
Hope this helps.

#3 ·
churdude said:
ok I'm a Cleveland fan but when a V8 engine is given to you you grab it, and yes its a Winsdor 302 I think.
Now tell me what the hell is a BOSS engine? and is there so where I can get pic's, because after readin ur tech forum you guys are talkin about Cleveland heads bla blah. How do they fit on, not that I would do that to this engine, should much like a ford runnin HEMI heads, lol
Boss , windsor bottemm end with clevo heads , loses lots of bottom end and revs like a biatch :)

#5 ·
churdude said:
not that I would do that to this engine, should much like a ford runnin HEMI heads, lol
The Ford Boss 302 engine was a performance variant of the Windsor, putting what would become Cleveland heads on the Windsor block to improve rated power to 290 hp (216 kW). According to some reports, the engine could produce more than 310 hp(231 kW), although as delivered, it was equipped with an electrical rev limiter that restricted maximum engine speed to 6000 rpm. Removal of the limiter could allow nearly 400 hp (298 kW) at 6500 rpm or more, but voided the Ford warranty.
The Boss 302 was offered only for the 1969 and 1970 model years

The 351 Cleveland was introduced in 1970 as Ford's new muscle car engine. It was built through the end of the 1974 model year. It incorporated elements learned on the Ford 385 engine series and on the Ford Boss 302 engine, particularly the poly-angle combustion chambers with canted valves and the thin-wall casting technology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_302_engine

But seriously both the windsor and cleveland share the same bore spacing and head bolt pattern so with the right parts you can make a boss style engine .

#8 ·
You can buy bits to make a "Track Boss" 302 which the original Boss 302 was with Cleveland 4v heads - an engine with great power at high revs.

A much better option for street use is the "Street Boss" - 302 Windsor Block with 2v Cleveland heads. This combo has loads of low down torque and revs well too (My brother has one in his 29 Roadster and its one of the sweetest engines I've seen / felt / heard)

Theres a great tech article here:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/30220/

I'd love one of these engines in an early Falcon.....

#11 ·
Any competent machine shop could do the mods.

[A] Coolant passages need to be plugged.
0.80 inch hole must be drilled on each head. Use the SVO intake as a template for these holes.
[C] Remove these alignment pegs.
[D] Use freeze plugs to block these end holes, if the heads have them.

6 holes also need to be drilled in to the block

LINK to conversion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.