"BOSS"? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 21:47   #1 (permalink)

"BOSS"?

ok I'm a Cleveland fan but when a V8 engine is given to you you grab it, and yes its a Winsdor 302 I think.
Now tell me what the hell is a BOSS engine? and is there so where I can get pic's, because after readin ur tech forum you guys are talkin about Cleveland heads bla blah. How do they fit on, not that I would do that to this engine, should much like a ford runnin HEMI heads, lol
Thanks for any help fella's
churdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2006, 04:45   #2 (permalink)

Re: "BOSS"?

well excactly where would you like to start?
A BOSS 302 engine was produced by ford to compete in the trans am racing series in 1969.It was only in production in 69/70.
It was a hybrid engine using the canted valve heads from the soon to be released cleveland engine on to a 302w 4 bolt block.
They ran 4v heads,solid cam,780 holley and dual point distributor form factory.
It is easy to recognise a boss 302 as it uses the cleveland heads which are much larger in profile than the windsor heads.Of course they run a special intake manifold of which there are aftermarket versions available.
One way to identify an original boss 302 block from the outside is that they use screw in core plugs instead of the traditional knock in type.
Hope this helps.
351zd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:49   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by churdude
ok I'm a Cleveland fan but when a V8 engine is given to you you grab it, and yes its a Winsdor 302 I think.
Now tell me what the hell is a BOSS engine? and is there so where I can get pic's, because after readin ur tech forum you guys are talkin about Cleveland heads bla blah. How do they fit on, not that I would do that to this engine, should much like a ford runnin HEMI heads, lol
Boss , windsor bottemm end with clevo heads , loses lots of bottom end and revs like a biatch :)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:20   #4 (permalink)

Sold from factory as 295 hp.....to avoid supercar tax
Anyone who knows cars will tell ya they have more than that!!!!!

Having driven a few, i agree!

As for running clevo heads.....i am still fence sitting on that!

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:56   #5 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by churdude
not that I would do that to this engine, should much like a ford runnin HEMI heads, lol
The Ford Boss 302 engine was a performance variant of the Windsor, putting what would become Cleveland heads on the Windsor block to improve rated power to 290 hp (216 kW). According to some reports, the engine could produce more than 310 hp(231 kW), although as delivered, it was equipped with an electrical rev limiter that restricted maximum engine speed to 6000 rpm. Removal of the limiter could allow nearly 400 hp (298 kW) at 6500 rpm or more, but voided the Ford warranty.
The Boss 302 was offered only for the 1969 and 1970 model years

The 351 Cleveland was introduced in 1970 as Ford's new muscle car engine. It was built through the end of the 1974 model year. It incorporated elements learned on the Ford 385 engine series and on the Ford Boss 302 engine, particularly the poly-angle combustion chambers with canted valves and the thin-wall casting technology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_302_engine

But seriously both the windsor and cleveland share the same bore spacing and head bolt pattern so with the right parts you can make a boss style engine .
Old 03-30-2006, 10:10   #6 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Old 04-01-2006, 04:32   #7 (permalink)

AWESOME result even better than I thought I would get and the site is awesome. The BOSS lives!!!
Thanks again
churdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:14   #8 (permalink)

You can buy bits to make a "Track Boss" 302 which the original Boss 302 was with Cleveland 4v heads - an engine with great power at high revs.

A much better option for street use is the "Street Boss" - 302 Windsor Block with 2v Cleveland heads. This combo has loads of low down torque and revs well too (My brother has one in his 29 Roadster and its one of the sweetest engines I've seen / felt / heard)

Theres a great tech article here:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/30220/

I'd love one of these engines in an early Falcon.....
xr6turbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:53   #9 (permalink)

Finding manifolds is getting hard now, although both CHI and AFD should have one soon. I used 2V heads on my 351W with a modified 2V funnelweb.

Only the original 302 4V combo is a true BOSS motor, the rest are clevor's.
LTD351V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:35   #10 (permalink)

from what i remember reading there is to much work to fit the clevo heads onto a windsor. the boss was a special block. also from what ive read its a lot cheaper to get a set of alloy windsor heads and there just as good.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech