Bought the Intake, Now installing it! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2003, 07:00   #1 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

cool Bought the Intake, Now installing it! *UPDATED*

Hey guys,

Just like PigDog I've too bought an Upper/Lower explorer intake manifold off an AU XR8 II with a 65mm T/B. Now im prepared to fit it myself as I have reasonable mechanical knowledge and just about fitted & pulled off every other part on my EL XR8 I.
Now, What sort of gaskets are needed to perform this job. Im planning on getting my hands on an EF/EL V8 workshop manual and an AU V8 workshop manual to read up on things. Im also planning on installing the ST2027 rockers while i have the manifold off.
Will all sensors from manifold/Throttle body fit straight to my new explorer intake or am i gonna hit a snag. Also how hard really is this job to perfrom. Im planning on taking my time. A week if be it as car doesnt get driven during the week

Any suggestions guys that would be great

Last edited by MKII240T; 11-02-2003 at 03:27.
MKII240T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2003, 09:05   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Use Felpro Intake gasket 1250. Its a fairly easy job to change the intake and roller rockers, should only take a day if you take your time.

Only problems you might face is if some of the sensors don't fit. I think you will find the AU manifolds don't have the ACT sensor in the 2nd intake runner of the lower manifold. You can easily relocate this sensor to anywhere in the intake piping, the rubber hose between the throttle body and MAF is the easiest.

You will also have to run your EGR spacer (the part between the intake and throttle body). Although the EGR system will no longer function, as long as you hook up all the connectors, the EEC will not throw any fault codes.

The TPS sensor on the AU throttle body will also have to be changed with your old one and modified slightly to fit, or modify the wiring loom to use the AU TPS.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 10:10   #3 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Hey Thomas,

I think i've now decided to hold off for a few months and collect a few more parts. With the manifold off it's as good an opportunity as ever to do a cam swap and if i'm going to do that well I might aswell change the heads too and then I'll be done with it. I've been checking out the corral.net mustang forums and TFS twisted wedge alloys + TFS #1 cam seems like a pretty successful combo. Means I will have to change the MAF and injectors this way which is a bit more stuffing around but I think it'll be worth it. If nothing blows up it should easily get into the 13's with my 3.73 gears which should keep me happy for a while (i hope!).

Anyhow, it'll probably take me 6 months to get together all the parts so here's hoping you post about a really good result just from the manifold+rockers and maybe I'll change my mind!
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 14:16   #4 (permalink)
OFR #7

Re: Bought the Intake, Now installing it!

Guys, check out this thread Tips to fit 'Explorer' inlet to EL XR8
It has the info you are after.

Mick

APS Stage II = 267rwkw = 12.16@118.5mph on street tyres
Big Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 19:05   #5 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
Use Felpro Intake gasket 1250. Its a fairly easy job to change the intake and roller rockers, should only take a day if you take your time.
EDXR8

Are these gaskets are they available from Ford or somewhere like Repco?
Old 09-23-2003, 19:16   #6 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Any Speed shop really. Try Repco or Autopro or Motormate, even Motor Traders. But depending where you are you should be able to find the kit from any Speed/Racing store.

VPW mail order in vic is also a very good source aswell as Sydney Speed supplies.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 02:18   #7 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8

Only problems you might face is if some of the sensors don't fit. I think you will find the AU manifolds don't have the ACT sensor in the 2nd intake runner of the lower manifold. You can easily relocate this sensor to anywhere in the intake piping, the rubber hose between the throttle body and MAF is the easiest.

You will also have to run your EGR spacer (the part between the intake and throttle body). Although the EGR system will no longer function, as long as you hook up all the connectors, the EEC will not throw any fault codes.

The TPS sensor on the AU throttle body will also have to be changed with your old one and modified slightly to fit, or modify the wiring loom to use the AU TPS.
EDXR8,

Im guessing all the torque settings for the manifold and rockers would be in the EF/EL workshop manual even though its an AU manifold and there ST2027 rockers?
Does the distributer need to be removed at all. Coolent flush is necessary and is engine oil too?
Old 09-24-2003, 02:36   #8 (permalink)

Sorry to hijack the thred but will the edelbrock performer efi manifold bolt straight on as in will it accept all the sensors or do i need to plug any holes.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 02:45   #9 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Yes mate it will bolt straight on accepting all the stock gear...
I had no dramas whatsoever

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 03:07   #10 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: Re: Bought the Intake, Now installing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
EDXR8,

Im guessing all the torque settings for the manifold and rockers would be in the EF/EL workshop manual even though its an AU manifold and there ST2027 rockers?
Does the distributer need to be removed at all. Coolent flush is necessary and is engine oil too?
Yeah the torque settings and sequence is the same. The roller rockers are entirely different though, but they will come with instructions and are available off the yella terra website. Coolant should be flushed otherwise you will get quite a bit of coolant all over the place when you remove the intake. Oil doesn't really matter, so you can leave it if you want. And yes the distributor needs to come out.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech