Build? or crate engine? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2006, 21:38   #1 (permalink)

Build? or crate engine?

I am looking at another engine for my Fairlane to replace the 302W, I am trying to decide whether to build up a 408 or a crate 392 or a crate big block, I have been looking around a bit, found 460 BB on Scoggin Dickey at Sdpc2000: Performance Parts, Racing Engines, Racing Engine Parts, Race Engines, Race Engine Parts - SDPC for around US6500 with 550hp, I like the idea of a big block but what needs to be done to my fairlane for it to be transplanted? Engine mounts? Headers? will it need to be braced for the torque and extra weight of the BB? I have got a 69 351W block and I am still tryin to decide on whether to build that as another option with victor heads and roller valve train? I like the idea of crates being brand new castings etc,What sort of engines have some of you other fullas built for your Fairlanes? Its a ZD so it weighs a bit but would like to get her rockin, What is everyones thoughts??? How do I post Pics of my ZD??
maccasbigZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2006, 02:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: Build? or crate engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccasbigZD
I am looking at another engine for my Fairlane to replace the 302W, I am trying to decide whether to build up a 408 or a crate 392 or a crate big block, I have been looking around a bit, found 460 BB on Scoggin Dickey at Sdpc2000: Performance Parts, Racing Engines, Racing Engine Parts, Race Engines, Race Engine Parts - SDPC for around US6500 with 550hp, I like the idea of a big block but what needs to be done to my fairlane for it to be transplanted? Engine mounts? Headers? will it need to be braced for the torque and extra weight of the BB? I have got a 69 351W block and I am still tryin to decide on whether to build that as another option with victor heads and roller valve train? I like the idea of crates being brand new castings etc,What sort of engines have some of you other fullas built for your Fairlanes? Its a ZD so it weighs a bit but would like to get her rockin, What is everyones thoughts??? How do I post Pics of my ZD??
Go the crate , warranty and certainty it will run right , these are several places around where you can source whats required , last motor we bought at Slacks Creek in Brisbane was a long crate chev small block at 350 hp for under 4k , google for the name ( sorry I am having a senoir moment) and they are in several states.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 21:35   #3 (permalink)

yeah I like the idea of being able to install it and not having to play round with it alot to get it runing, has anyone installed a big block in a ZD? (same as xy, xw etc engine bay) what sort of trans is recommended C6? Or would I be able to beef up a C4? Would like to hear from anyone who has converted to BB and what headers etc they have used
Old 11-20-2006, 04:43   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccasbigZD
yeah I like the idea of being able to install it and not having to play round with it alot to get it runing, has anyone installed a big block in a ZD? (same as xy, xw etc engine bay) what sort of trans is recommended C6? Or would I be able to beef up a C4? Would like to hear from anyone who has converted to BB and what headers etc they have used
mounts , c6 , prop shaft and some wiring and a large fuel pump , you wont fit a high rise manifold ( well it might but why bother , I suggest you build it for LPG with the right cam pistons and head inserts it will be smooth and very clean , much better for rego.Lpg only motors make excelent power .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 18:51   #5 (permalink)

If you have a 69 block build a 408 or 418 stroker and pick the parts yourself e.g. better heads which a lot of crate motors are lacking, you should easily get 550 hp. My Bro in Law(slick) is from Taupo and he is heading down this christams he is mates with Jp(John Penny) if you know him. A mate of theirs Bernie races windsors in his late model mustang might be able to help you out.
Old 11-24-2006, 22:16   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for that cubes, yeah ideally I need to talk to someone about a good combo for around 450-500hp, i would like to have an engine that I can drive to the track do a few squirts down the 1/4 then drive home again. That would be good if I could talk to someone you know in Taupo
Old 11-25-2006, 03:07   #7 (permalink)

Here are a few pics of my ZD, what your thoughts?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...ZD/drag1pt.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...igZD/farpt.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...D/muzzs060.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...D/muzzs059.jpg
Old 11-25-2006, 19:57   #8 (permalink)

Nice Fairlane
Old 12-10-2006, 22:05   #9 (permalink)

Hey guys
Well I have decided to build an engine, took my 69 351W block to auto machinists today to be hot tanked and crack tested. I am prob going to look at converting it to 4 bolt main, and next week if all goes well purchase a 408 stroker kit, I cant decide whether to go for a cast steel crank or forged, definatley forged rods and pistons but I have heard that cast steel cranks are good for around 500Hp, I am aiming for a solid 450. Set of edelbrock Victor jr heads (complete) I am not to sure about intake system, I like the idea of a tunnel ram but have heard they can be a mongrel to set up??? Has anyone made a 408ci setup with tunnel ram/ Id like to know how you went with it. Who in Auzzie are good for stroker kits? I am looking at rocket industries/vpw as I have delt with them before an are excellent, Give me some feedback guys
Old 12-10-2006, 22:06   #10 (permalink)

mate ive gotta second building a 408-418 instead of the bb option,by the time you pay to get a bb out here you could have build two killer smallblocks.from memory,dont they use seasoned blocks for the bb crate engines.you can build a 408 thatll make 500/500 without any trouble with off the shelf parts
steharz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech