Cam Comparisons... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2004, 16:14   #1 (permalink)
Copyright �2003

Cam Comparisons...

Has anyone in fordforums done any back to back testing on various cams on the same engine combo?

Generally comments seem to back non FMS cams and I was wondering why this was so, preferably with actual data to back the comments up.

the house of grunt
Click on the above link to go to a site about my cars, old and new.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2004, 01:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: Cam Comparisons...

The FMS stuff seems to be a little out of date. The gains had when comparing the FMS series to the newer age 2030 or 2031 or trickflow units often produce a greater power figure, greater power/torque range and a better idle. Smooth (ish) idle is one of the big things that even some of the mild FMS cams can't brag about.

I chose the 2031 because i needed to replace my Roller Rockers (had pressed metal crap), It was compatible with a boosted application and was likley not to make me pull the heads off to machine any pistons. I have since had my stall adjusted to about a 2800rpm (peak torque is apparently around there). I haven't noticed any loss of low end torque but have picked up plenty of rev happyness. I now change gears at 6200rpm with no big power hole above 5500rpm.
Most FMS cams are sqauare from memory. eg. 220 inlet 220 exhaust. Favoring the exhaust can have some benefit. eg. 2031 214 inlet 220 exhaust. Forgive me if a get this wrong but in this case it promotes better idle and still maintains good power and low end torque.

Trickflow also has a couple nice looking options but i'm not too sure who's used them on here.
A 2031 in your beast would be awesome mate. If you want to come around and have a listen of feel of my setup (no boost yet) just pm me. I'm on the sunny coast.
TKTDSGM Member
AU2XLSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:46   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Correct ..The E303 still makes good power though and easier on valve gear due to its 498 lift and easy ramps though they still open quick...The lob centre of 110* makes them peaky also..But this is the character of the Windsor also...
Of interest the Yamaha racing Falcon used this cam....
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:56   #4 (permalink)
Copyright �2003

Cheers on the replies.

Are we talking large differences between the FMS cams and the equivelent TF cam or is it minimal? I've actually got a B303 and found it to have a rather good torque spread and had little problems with idle.

Off topic, AU2XLSV8 how do you find you stall for daily driving? Annoying as hell or not a problem?

the house of grunt
Click on the above link to go to a site about my cars, old and new.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:11   #5 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
Are we talking large differences between the FMS cams and the equivelent TF cam or is it minimal? I've actually got a B303 and found it to have a rather good torque spread and had little problems with idle.
Not huge differences, current designes such as the TFS1, Crane 2030/2031 tend to develop more power down low and maintain a fairly flat torque curve. The B303 is probably considered the smallest of the FMS cams, fairly low lift figures but plenty of duration. Are you using this with the blower? If so you would probably benefit from a cam like the 2031 or TFS1 due to the exhaust bias.

Here is a comparison of the B303 and the stock cam done by MM&FF magazine. http://www.fordgallery.com/showphoto...cat/500/page/1
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 22:18   #6 (permalink)

Converter is fine. I don't really notice a lack of drivability at all. Our BA is certainly smoother but it's also gutless off the line (absolutley gutless, IMO...any suggestions?).
The ute is tractable at low speeds and if you want to lauch her or fry the tires she will oblige as best a ute with hard compound tires can
Like i said drop me a pm and we'll have a drink over a comparrison.

I certainly wouldn't go a B303 over my 2031. Been in windsors with both and enjoy mine better. Besides your heads if ported or after market would probably enjoy that little extra lift.
TKTDSGM Member
AU2XLSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech