Ford Forums banner

Can Windsors do big revs ?

6K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Jase_ELXR8 
#1 ·
Ok, have a few questions

1) How high can a windsor motor rev ?
2) How high can the 5.6 stroker rev ?
3) Are the heads on the 5.6 stroker any good ?
4) are they the aluminium SVO heads from the AUII modded or are they iron heads modded like the XR8 ?
5) What would be needed to make a 5.6 stroker rev reliably to 8k ?

#2 ·
SnaggS said:
Ok, have a few questions

1) How high can a windsor motor rev ?
2) How high can the 5.6 stroker rev ?
3) Are the heads on the 5.6 stroker any good ?
4) are they the aluminium SVO heads from the AUII modded or are they iron heads modded like the XR8 ?
5) What would be needed to make a 5.6 stroker rev reliably to 8k ?
1. I have seen many people doing 7k rpm on these. Lots are doing 6500 with the right cam and hardware in place.
2. Just as fast, but you have to have the bottom end done right with 4 bolt mains and/or stud girdle, balanced etc. The block is too weak to do the high revs with the big crank unless everything is good.
3. The tickford 5.6? If so, they are identical to the 220 heads, except the yaren't decked as much. They are mass production stuff so there are definitely compromises. If you want good power and revs, they need a teardown and proper build (refer my previous comments about spring tensions!)
4. No, they are the GT40P heads done over by Perfectune with 2.02 intake valves and match porting the inlt face.
5. 8k? What for?

#3 ·
The 5.6s in the T3s i believe have a stud girdle and are fully balanced, thus would be a good starting point if you wanted to spin them out to 7K+rpm. A stronger set of rods and (forged) pistons would help too..... I think the GT40P iron heads are used because aluminum SVO GT40X heads can't be ported as much??? Even so the P's are cheaper too.

#5 ·
XAHardtop said:
The 5.6s in the T3s i believe have a stud girdle and are fully balanced, thus would be a good starting point if you wanted to spin them out to 7K+rpm. A stronger set of rods and (forged) pistons would help too..... I think the GT40P iron heads are used because aluminum SVO GT40X heads can't be ported as much??? Even so the P's are cheaper too.
The GT40X heads are harder to get in volume numbers and there have been some reliabilty issues with them which is why the p head was chosen, the price is right, it does perform with a little work and it's easy to get....

G
#7 ·
LARKO 10 said:
I know BOF 351 has pulled big revs in an earlier fairlane or fairmont in search of the rev limiter. Don't quote me but i think he said it was 6800 rpm. In standard form they obviously run out of puff up high though.
6200rpm and they've already run out of puff before then.

Pete.

#8 ·
Pete, suprised you didn't mention AFR heads.. :) The best head for a Windsor by far.. But for a limited budget the P's are the way to go, i'm porting my own. I'm mainly doing the exhaust side (deleting emissions bump, smothing valve guide boss etc). I don't really want to touch the inlet besides the bowl area. If anyone knows a good company that can fit a larger intake valve to the p head in the Central Coast/Sydney area please let me know. I thought the spark plug boss has to be cut down in the chamber to clear a larger valve but the stroked T series head doesnt look like this was done.

#9 ·
Anyone done any work with Yates heads??? These are used in NASCAR and drag racing and are VERY HEXY, but apparently are the business. (though in NASCAR's etc i think they use Clevo based blocks). The flow figures on the heads look damn good, but apparently they need ridiculous work on them. anyone enlighten me????

G
#10 ·
XAHardtop said:
Anyone done any work with Yates heads??? These are used in NASCAR and drag racing and are VERY HEXY, but apparently are the business. (though in NASCAR's etc i think they use Clevo based blocks). The flow figures on the heads look damn good, but apparently they need ridiculous work on them. anyone enlighten me????
Yes the Yates head is pretty much the ultimate small Ford head and is basically what the Touring car guys use. The Brodix Neal and Edelbrock/Billy Glidden Victors are also up there. They have very small combustion chambers(39cc ish) for very high compression.
They do need lot's of work because they come bare in every respect(often they don't even have valve seats).
For a complete set of them it will set you back around $14 000!
They'll fit any small block Ford. But, require a special intake because of their raised intake ports.

The NASCAR blocks are "Cleavors" if you like; Cleveland deck height 9.2", Cleveland main bearing size 2.749" as opposed to 3.00" for 351W blocks, Windsor oiling, Windsor type front/removable timing cover.

Pete

#13 ·
My Rover crew just picked up what we think, I haven't seen it yet, is a 302 windsor. We're thinking about twin turbos with a big 4 barrel carb because this thing is going into a TE Gemmy for mud racing. Any idea how strong the early stuff is?

G
#16 ·
Martin said:
What about the 32 Valve heads for the Windsor from Arao Engineering? Supposidly it just bolts right on and even uses the original head gaskets...

Around US$5000 complete

http://www.araoengineering.com/Ford/frdsmb.htm
Yes these look promising but as you have shown are too damn much! I'd be interested to hear about the durability of these too.
I remember the company had another name previously(about 10 years ago). Ive never seen anyone with them at high mileage?

I mean I'd hate to pay all that money and then find that they didn't last long. $5000 U.S. is the cost of two blower kits!
I know what I'd rather have.

Pete.

#20 ·
Mr GTHO said:

Looks like those heads are meant for the Dark Side. Check out the port spacings!
I was wondering how long before anyone noticed that ;) But they didnt have any other large pics :BW:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.