Can you's please educate me on heads - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2004, 21:39   #1 (permalink)
Yeah .... I am here

Can you's please educate me on heads

As the subject says, i need some further education.
I have 2 AU windsors, the wifes car, she is happy with the power, my ute, eh.
I am doing to some research, to see what will suit me best. I will be stroking it to 347 and get a cam to suit, and get the heads flowing better.
My question is, is it worth getting the standard heads ported ect, or just turf em and get another set ? what do i need to look for if thats the case ?
I don't want to go crazy and try and get 500hp. Just want torque.
Cash wise, well, i havent made a budget, but thinking of spending around 6-8k if i need to get some heads too.

Thanks

Luke
XR8fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2004, 22:46   #2 (permalink)

Re: Can you's please educate me on heads

Chuck em, get some aftermarket heads

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~two89w/
347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 22:47   #3 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

The standard GT40P's produce great low and midrange torque but lack flow up high. On a budget street drive 347, I think GT40P's would be great and could produce 250kw+, the AU T3 strokers used slightly modified GT40P's with great results so has Herrod Motorsport. Aftermarket heads like Trickflow, Edelbrock or AFR's will give you more peak power but will also cost you a fair bit more too.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:49   #4 (permalink)
Vic
Underachiever in training

I too am curious about aftermarket heads for my EL 5.0 Fairmont. The only mods so far have been pacemakers + exhaust and SS Inductions CAI + K&N Filter and I am keen to figure out what sort of heads would be appropriate to increase power and torque. GT40P heads are one type but how many others are there and what areas do they improve?
Old 08-17-2004, 05:02   #5 (permalink)

GT40P's have decent flow (around 190cfm) and can handle around 190rwkw on a 5L and maybe 220rwkw on a stroker engine. The Tickford modified 220/250kw heads flow about 10% more. They are good because they are cheap at around $1k a set and all stock parts fit onto them.

Aftermarket heads, like Trickflow, Edelbrock, AFR etc are generally alloy so are lighter and flow a fair bit more (230+cfm) but also cost a lot more at $2200-$3000+. They also normally need stud mount rockers and different length pushrods which also add to the price. But if you are after high powered engines these are the ones to go for.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:08   #6 (permalink)
Pro-M Distributor

If you have GT40P's then yes - I would spend a little bit on them and get them matched ported and a little around the short turn radius - but if you were looking to buy a set of GT40P's and then port them - you would be better off going to TrickFlow streetheats. They will flow better and cost you just a little more than buying the iron heads and porting them.
Shane

The 2 drag racers addages
1. If you are in control - you haven't got enough Horse Power...
2. If you throw it up in the air and it comes down - It's too heavy...

My Toys:
1998 NL FBT 033, Blue
1996 NL V8 Fairlane Ghia, YBESLO White, Grey trim, 16" V5 Simmons, LOW

Squeezed is nice, stroked is good, blown is unbeliveable - but all 3 is heaven
MrLandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:11   #7 (permalink)
Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
GT40P's have decent flow (around 190cfm) and can handle around 190rwkw on a 5L and maybe 220rwkw on a stroker engine. The Tickford modified 220/250kw heads flow about 10% more. They are good because they are cheap at around $1k a set and all stock parts fit onto them.

Aftermarket heads, like Trickflow, Edelbrock, AFR etc are generally alloy so are lighter and flow a fair bit more (230+cfm) but also cost a lot more at $2200-$3000+. They also normally need stud mount rockers and different length pushrods which also add to the price. But if you are after high powered engines these are the ones to go for.
More or less looking to just bolt 'em on and destroy my tires. Porting would be appropriate, yes?
Old 08-17-2004, 05:13   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Most afternarket heads improve power from 3.5 to 4000 rpm ..
There are heaps of heads...
http://www.edelbrock.com/
http://www.stangpro.com/html/project...one-intro.html
http://www.airflowresearch.com/
http://www.trickflow.com/
http://www.dartheads.com/ford.htm
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...CH/SBFord.html

Some flow numbers to compare...
http://home.isoa.net/~mharrisj/fordhead.html
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:21   #9 (permalink)
Vic

I've noticed that when I floor it my biggest push in the back occurs when it hits 2500rpm and that push continues till redline. I believe that my low to mid range area is what I need to improve to get an even acceleration from idle to redline. I figured that changing the heads and porting them would be a decent solution.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:27   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic
I've noticed that when I floor it my biggest push in the back occurs when it hits 2500rpm and that push continues till redline. I believe that my low to mid range area is what I need to improve to get an even acceleration from idle to redline. I figured that changing the heads and porting them would be a decent solution.
Yes, low and midrange power will also improve with most aftermarket heads, but you will find the most improvement up high. If you look at a dyno graph of your engine you will find that it levels off at around 4000-4500rpm and then starts loosing power after 5000rpm. With better flowing heads along with intake, cam etc you will still be making good power all the way to 6000rpm before it begins to level off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech