carby to fuel injection 302w - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2004, 02:00   #1 (permalink)

carby to fuel injection 302w

I currently have an 85 xf ute with 302w with fuel injected heads running ulp. i was wondering what difficulties i would come across to change from carby to 90's fuel injection, and what componants i would need. does anyone have any advice or even been down this road before.
mattxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2004, 13:39   #2 (permalink)

Re: carby to fuel injection 302w

I'm in the process of doing just that on my '77 F100 302.

I'm unsure of the equivalent parts you'll find, but the Mustang High Output manifold and computer is the basis of most conversions in the US. After you have all the parts it is relatively easy to do although I'm reading everything I can get my hands on before starting.

You would need to upgrade the alternator to at least 100amps and you will need to keep the sensors and factory gages as the EFI eqivalents are different.

Here's a few links to get you started. Most are for trucks, but all the info applies to automobile swaps as well.
http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.htm
http://www.tyu.ca/fiscus/
http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/5liter.php

The hardest part is running the fuel lines. You will need a pusher low pressure fuel pump and then a high pressure pump as well as a return line.
Tominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 02:38   #3 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

It may be easier just to pick up a complete EFI 5.0L from a wreckers. They are usually around $2k and then you don't have to worry about all the bits and pieces.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 14:26   #4 (permalink)

What about holly projection? thats what Im looking at doing to my 302w? So I dont have to change manifolds and all of the rest? dose anybody have any experence with this system?
ZCFairlaneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 15:08   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCFairlaneguy
What about holly projection? thats what Im looking at doing to my 302w? So I dont have to change manifolds and all of the rest? dose anybody have any experence with this system?
The only benefit of the holley projection system is that you can electronicaly control the mixture leaning out or enrichening at various points in the rev range. Most users without a dyno won't see any real benefit
Old 03-21-2004, 18:14   #6 (permalink)
Newbie Alert!

I would strongly recommend at least looking into the wonderful Edelbrock EFI system which bolts straight onto a 289/302. It has all the CPU's, and custom Control boxes, and in-dash adjustment dials etc.

Perhaps best of all however is that it looks like a classic Muscle Car inlet manifold where the traditional carburettor is replaced by a 4 venturi throttle body which allows you place a traditional carby air-filter on top. The Edelbrock people claim that if you use their RPM alloy heads that a 302 will deliver 24mpg AND 400 horsepower. It's a very impressive system at $2,600 USD. I would definitely favour it over the Ford system. Check it out.

The Boo Boo Mobeel: 1966 Shelby GT350 Mustang Fastback. Scarlett Red with White Le Mans stripes with matching co-ordinated Pony interior. 289 Hi-Po Cobra currently mated to a close ratio 4 speed Top Loader. 17" Torq Thrust II's and 13" Baer Racing disks all round with PBR 4 spot calipers.
Boo Boo Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech