changing a mechanical fan for an electric - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2005, 15:54   #1 (permalink)

confused changing a mechanical fan for an electric

i want to change out my mechanical fan to a electric fan and i am wondering what is a good size to go with. i have a 351 windsor in a 1995 for f-150. and what kind of power switch should i go with to run them.
351f-150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2005, 19:27   #2 (permalink)

Re: changing a mechanical fan for an electric

Look under www.summitracing.com and see what they have to offer. You can get a 2100cfm fan for about $120, last I saw... but that was a while back.

As far as a switch goes, I'd say just wire it to your ignition for now and spring for a thermatic switch when you can (turns on the fan at a certain temp). Watch your alternator, though- electric fans pull about 60amps.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 17:00   #3 (permalink)

confused Re: changing a mechanical fan for an electric

i found 2 14" electric fans for 52.95 each is that a good price. and will my stock alternator be able to push them? if not what kind should i get and how much would a better alternator be?
Old 10-06-2005, 22:41   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351f-150
i found 2 14" electric fans for 52.95 each is that a good price. and will my stock alternator be able to push them? if not what kind should i get and how much would a better alternator be?
It's not the size of the fan, it's how hard it blows (wow...). If they're decent (1400cfm or more), I'd say jump on it. Be sure that they include all the wiring, though- that's where they'll catch you. A lot of places sell cheap fans, but when you get it, there's no wiring! (Bastards...)

I'm not sure a stock alternator would push a pair of electrics for long. Find an alternator shop and see how much they'd charge to re-wind your stock alternator for as much power as they can manage. Those 351 alternators are stout, so they should be able to get 200amps out of it. Check on that before you purchase the fans, though- wouldn't want you to get them, then not be able to afford the alternator work.

One option, to save alternator drain, is to run one to your ignition, so it'll run at all times, then run one to a dash-mounted switch. That way, you can just flip the second one when the temperature needle starts to dance and you'll save the unnecessary load on your alternator. Just an idea.

Definitely go with a local shop to rebuild the stock alt, though- cheapest way to go for a good performance alternator.

My Garage
Old 10-08-2005, 10:47   #5 (permalink)

confused Re: changing a mechanical fan for an electric

yeah i dont know if there 1400 cfms but my uncle was saying that it would be alright with the stock alternator. but he is telling me to go with a single 16" fan since my truck doesnt have any problems with over heating. what do u think i should do. my truck is fairly stock and im not looking to go all out into a race motor i drive it everyday to school and stuff. and also i found some headmenn longtube headers for 179 bucks is that a good buy?
Old 10-08-2005, 19:33   #6 (permalink)

A single 16" should do you fine- especially if you're not going all out. You'll like the freed up horsepower that will be provided.

Hedmann longtubes for $179? Not bad, but you can get them from SummitRacing.com for $149 and they have free shipping. Go ahead and get your fan from them at the same time- there's a $9 handling fee for each order, so it'd work out well.

Let me know how it goes...

My Garage
Old 10-08-2005, 21:22   #7 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: changing a mechanical fan for an electric

alright thanks for the tip on the headers ill keep posting on the progress. im hoping to get the fan sometime this week. and hope that my truck doesnt have any problems with overheating.
Old 10-08-2005, 22:05   #8 (permalink)

I doubt you will, but if you do, I'd say get a cheap pusher fan and slap it on the front of your A/C condenser, assuming you have one. If you don't, put it on the front of your radiator.

Good luck on all that.

For the headers, I'm assuming you're aware you'll need to have your exhaust modified to run full-length. Very much worth it, though, if you ask me.

My Garage
Old 10-08-2005, 22:51   #9 (permalink)

Question Re: changing a mechanical fan for an electric

well i have dual straighht pipe exuast right now what will i have to modify to get the headers to fit.
Old 10-08-2005, 23:49   #10 (permalink)

You'll just need to have the front section replaced. As it is, the pipes curve upward in the front to meet the manifolds at the flange... but with full-length headers, it'll put the flange at the bottom of your firewall, so the front section of piping will need to be cut and adjusted to meet the new flange location. Shops can do it for pretty cheap.

My Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech