Ford Forums banner

choosing a cam

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ebxr8240 
#1 ·
i'm trying to choose a new cam for my 81 302 with stock heads. It has the stock double valve springs and hydraulic lifters. my engine has a weiand intake manifold and edelbrock carb and about 9:1 compression. I'm currently looking at comp cams, and i want to know how big a lift i can go with my engine, and what will work best. I'm looking at a cam with .493 int , .500 exh. If anyone has a suggestion of a better cam or if that will work, that would be awesome.

#3 ·
yeah, i'm going to buy some new valve springs. and now i'm thinking about a comp cam with 268, 268 duration and .456, .456 lift, i think that might work a little better for my stock heads, cause i don't want to run into problems with valve float or anything else that might happen.

#4 ·
that 268 H cam from comp should work wonders for you i have one myself and have yet to install it in my 351 but i know someone who put one in a 302 and he said it was a very strong pulling cam and that it works well with some stock accessories.

#5 ·
Whatever you use you must always check coil bind on each spring, piston to valve clearance, rocker clearance on fulcrum etc. But anything under 500 valve lift and 270 duration is o/k. Just make sure the parts work together. Too big a cam or incorrect springs can cause all sorts of problems esp when NOT checked!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.