Ford Forums banner

Clevo heads onto Windsor

6K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  clevo400 
#1 ·
I dont know if this is the right section but I will post here anyways.
1. What does it take to put Clevo heads onto a Windsor?
2. Is there any benifit in doing this?
3. What is the diffrence between 2V and 4V heads?
4. Someone told me that a 302W with Clevo heads is a Boss is this true?
5. How much wider does this make the engine?
6. What manifold do you use eg Clevo, Windsor or after market?
7. Is it realy worth it?

#2 ·
GTHO3_2 said:
7. Is it realy worth it?
1. A lot of machine work
2. Not really, when compared to aftermarket heads for a Windsor
3. 2v (flow less but flow faster) are better suited for lower RPM, 4v (flow more but slower) are better for top end
4. Yes (?)
5. NFI :p
6. You'll need a boss manifold, unsure if you can get these for EFI
7. Most people seem to say just spend the money on aftermarket Windsor heads.

I'm sure someone will find something wrong with that.

#7 ·
GTHO3_2 said:
7. Is it realy worth it?
1. try this. http://themustangshop.com/ and use the how to link, then 351 cleveland heads onto 351 windsor block. The piston height will be wrong, ford used 289 rods to raise the piston up in the bore. the valve reliefs for the canted valves are also required. you could use cleveland pistons and shave heads &/or block to achieve desired compression....
2. only if port work etc is done. enlarge 2v or reduce size of 4v with resin/tongues. alternatively use CHI or AFD alloys with same complications
3. 4v had larger ports and valves. ports were so large that even the nascar guys used resin to reduce their size in specific areas and gain velocity in their 9000rpm 351's. 4v & 2v so named as they were meant to suit 2v/4v carb.
4. boss replica yes. real boss 302's had same 8.2" deck height but 4 bolt mains and screw in welch plugs.
5. almost not at all, but exhaust mating angle is very different, custom headers required
6. boss specific, suit carby only. pavtek or american auto parts will sell you one.
7. IMO no. thought about it for my eb, but it is easier, & cheaper after all the custom work, to use the plethora of mustang go fast bits available. edelbrock alloy heads will barely cost me more & flow about the same as the quote i got to port/polish/valve job etc some iron 2v cleveland heads (afd & chi are even more expensive than comparable afr 185's), power-plus efi manifold cost about the same as a boss carby manifold, pacemaker vs custom headers, mathematics required to get correct crown height & compression etc... I just put it in the 2-hard basket and started building a 347ci similar to brad's WPN-56L. see http://fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=93302

#8 ·
GTHO3_2 said:
Well im tossing up between a set of gt40p's or clevo heads (no efi) dont ask Q's
i'd say go the p's, but i dont know of any e-series off the shelf headers that will fit, plug angle fouls pipes. dont think au will fit either, fouls shock tower apparantely.

are there any headers that will fit P heads in an ea-ed body?

#9 ·
sam12h said:
i'd say go the p's, but i dont know of any e-series off the shelf headers that will fit, plug angle fouls pipes. dont think au will fit either, fouls shock tower apparantely.

are there any headers that will fit P heads in an ea-ed body?
Pacemaker, Genie & HM E-series V8 headers all fit the GT40P's, but you also need 90 degree spark plug leads.

#12 ·
for the boss setup (yes a boss is cleveland heads on a windsor). rare spares used to sell a kit which from memory came with manifold, pushrods welch plugs for sealing water passages and machining instructions. never saw one disassembled just read about it.

out of interest when i bought my coupe there was a 302 boss in it, was really not impressed with the engine, never looked real hard into it to see whether it was a bad build or just an average engine as it broke a ring not long after i got it.

#13 ·
Hey hey , I've done it to my eb.Big change to power curve top end,some loss bottom end.Now i need to increase the throttle body and maf to suit.
It was a major undertaking to do .I was only able to do it cause i worked in a toolroom.In answer to your questions it is a hell of a lot of work.Dont forget because of the different position of the exhaust ports(height and angle from the heads) , you'll need to build a custom exhaust.I made adaptor plates between the heads and inlet manifold which raised the over motor heght by about 16mm.custom made gasgets etc.You must use clevo head gasgets and the heads have to be modified for the waterways to match up.bla bla bla , Its a huge job.

#14 ·
oh yeah , almost forgot , I shaved my heads and used clevo pistons to bring the compression to the right level and the clevo pistons fix the deck height.Had to modify the piston skirts.Also , i had to use pre fuel injected 351 windsor pushrods to achieve the right length.

#15 ·
Heads, intake manifold, extractors, pushrods and headbolts.
Yes. 2V Clevo heads flow. Cost is cheap ($100 pr wreckers)
2V torque, 4V for revs
4V heads with solid cam, rr, ss, gp, hp
Standard exhaust headers will be a tight fit into a TE Corty engine bay
Street Boss, Track Boss,
7. Is it realy worth it?[/QUOTE]
Yes. 2v CC heads - free, 7/16 crmo pushrods - $200, intake - $600, headbolts $50, extractors - $500, machine work - ??? drill hole in intake face of head (water passage) and block hole in underside of head (water passage)

#16 ·
Most Clevo dudes sell their 2V's cheap cos their goin to CHI or AFD. Some go for $600pr and they have single with dampers, hardened retainers and collets. That's good enough for 0.550" lift givin the 302W reving power to 6500rpm easy. Told Windsor heads flow best at 0.490" lift and 2V Clevo flow best at 0.525" lift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.