Cold Air Intake/Air Filter - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2004, 17:02   #1 (permalink)

Cold Air Intake/Air Filter

I wanna make some mild mods to my car, the above seems like a good place to start. I know for the I6 you go for an AU XR8 intake, same thing goes for the older 8's aswell? im also thinking K&N Panel filter.
what have some of you guys done?
Quote:
<mrmkII> a tick bit my nuts!!!!
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2004, 17:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: Cold Air Intake/Air Filter

what kind of car u got...........judging by your nick its a 86 xf??

Quote:
Originally Posted by F˘rdFan86
I wanna make some mild mods to my car, the above seems like a good place to start. I know for the I6 you go for an AU XR8 intake, same thing goes for the older 8's aswell? im also thinking K&N Panel filter.
what have some of you guys done?
frdpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 17:32   #3 (permalink)

it '92 NC fairlane ghia, can u guys post some pics of what you've done to ur EB-ED XR8's would help me out a little
XF no way lol i dont like those ones, XE Spac EFI 5spd man for me.... 86 cauz thats the yr i was born
Quote:
Old 10-04-2004, 17:41   #4 (permalink)

ahhhh fair enough
well ive got an ef ghia cold air intake,
1)cut a whole from under the airbox and ran a pip to the bottom of the front grille
2)set of 4.11's diff gears(huge power differnce)
3) AU XR8 snorkal
4) 3" stanless stell pipe from the airbox to the throttle body

belive it or not all these mods have made a bid increase in power
Old 10-04-2004, 18:45   #5 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

The AU XR8 Snorkle does not fit onto the E-series V8's without some modification to clear the power steering pulley. You can get an EL XR8 snorkle which fit straight on and are as good as the AU ones but don't have the tickford wings. K&N filter is also a good idea as well, but together these mods will probably only give you 2-3rwkw but throttle response will feel better. First major mod you want on the V8's is to get some extractors and then a good 2 1/2" exhaust system and larger cats. After that it would probably be roller rockers, intake swaps, heads etc but that gets expensive. Diff gears will also be a big improvement but I wouldn't go as far as 4.11's on a street driven car, something like 3.73's would be more practicle IMO.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 18:49   #6 (permalink)

how much will the entire exhaust system cost to get done from extractors/headers to cat and back.
also what are some of the patterns available or is is just 4-1?
Quote:
Old 10-04-2004, 18:57   #7 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by F˘rdFan86
how much will the entire exhaust system cost to get done from extractors/headers to cat and back.
also what are some of the patterns available or is is just 4-1?
Most go with the Tri-Y design which gives a lot more down low power compared with 4-1's while still flowing quite well up high. Pacemakers tend to be the most commonly used and are fairly good quality and fitment. Probably look at around $500 for the extractors, around $300 for a mild steel 2 1/2" exhaust system and about $200ea for high flow cats.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 18:57   #8 (permalink)

yeh sorry forgot to mention mines only a 6, didnt relise your was an 8 as he said below yuo will need a EL XR* snorkal

mines a 6 and the 4'11s aint as bad as everyone thinks, so far ive been happy with it. ive also got pacemaker extractors and a 2.5 exhaust from memery

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
The AU XR8 Snorkle does not fit onto the E-series V8's without some modification to clear the power steering pulley. You can get an EL XR8 snorkle which fit straight on and are as good as the AU ones but don't have the tickford wings. K&N filter is also a good idea as well, but together these mods will probably only give you 2-3rwkw but throttle response will feel better. First major mod you want on the V8's is to get some extractors and then a good 2 1/2" exhaust system and larger cats. After that it would probably be roller rockers, intake swaps, heads etc but that gets expensive. Diff gears will also be a big improvement but I wouldn't go as far as 4.11's on a street driven car, something like 3.73's would be more practicle IMO.
Old 10-04-2004, 19:00   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
Most go with the Tri-Y design which gives a lot more down low power compared with 4-1's while still flowing quite well up high. Pacemakers tend to be the most commonly used and are fairly good quality and fitment. Probably look at around $500 for the extractors, around $300 for a mild steel 2 1/2" exhaust system and about $200ea for high flow cats.
that sounds good, low down power is what im after, dont plan to have engine revvin its tits off just to get some power. how much are you looking at for some stainless steel and is there much power gain to be had for paying the extra$$$?
anyone got some pics of the Tri-Y design?
Quote:
Old 10-04-2004, 19:01   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdpwr
yeh sorry forgot to mention mines only a 6, didnt relise your was an 8 as he said below yuo will need a EL XR* snorkal

mines a 6 and the 4'11s aint as bad as everyone thinks, so far ive been happy with it. ive also got pacemaker extractors and a 2.5 exhaust from memery
atm i got 3.23 LSD, dont wanna jump up top 4.11, to many more revs if anything i may try and get some 3.45, 3.77 at a push
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech