Computer remapping $$$ !!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2004, 00:07   #1 (permalink)
Vic
Underachiever in training

Computer remapping $$$ !!!

I had a chat with a fellow in a high performance outfit today about improvements to my car and I asked him about what I can have done to my EL V8 without actually putting in a single extra drop of fuel to get more performance and after we'd discussed the air intake side and the exhaust side of things, he mentioned the engine computer. He stated that the engine computer in his opinion already runs richer than it needs to be and that he can remap it for a bigger gain in performance and ultimately using less fuel in the process... for about $1400.

I never realised just how much these sorts of mods could cost. Is this the sort of price that is normally placed on remapping the engine computer or am I just out of touch?
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2004, 00:10   #2 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Re: Computer remapping $$$ !!!

For that price you could get a Unichip realtime dyno'd

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:09   #3 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

SVU347, I would have expected that that was what he was suggesting...
Vic, its possibly a little more than I would have expected for a Unichip or similar product, but not greatly so. Most of the custom chips I've heard seem to be $1000+
Its not cheap, but performance never is There are a few things, but not many, that will get much gain for less than $1000 on the V8's . . .
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:28   #4 (permalink)
OFR #7

I would be spending the money on a decent exhaust first. Car will probably get more rwkw and will sound heaps better. A good exhaust will also complement anything else you do to the engine.

Regarding the "remapping" what product are you talking about?? There are a few products around and I have tried most of them and know most of the advantages and disadvantages.

If your want a UniChip I have one that was on my EL which you can have for $250.

Mick

APS Stage II = 267rwkw = 12.16@118.5mph on street tyres
Big Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:40   #5 (permalink)
Vic

Well I am looking to start with a bigger/better snorkel ( possibly a TE snorkel ) and adding a K&N filter. That may gain me a few kilowatts and would probably cost me upto about $200. Then I would like to research some exhaust info which is goanna be a turd considering how little I know about exhaust dynamics - and I am dreading the cost of buying it and having it installed as I emptied my bank account getting this car.

Those two items should be the cheapest start into gaining some extra performance for my car and the combination of the air and exhaust upgrades by themselves will also gain me some more fuel efficiency when I am not giving the car a bootful which I consider important as I am now spending 80% of my time driving sedately and 20% driving like a madman whereas in my youth I was doing the opposite.

In regard to engine computer remapping - I am yet to learn if remapping means remapping the existing setup without changing any hardware within or that remapping means that a different chip is always added in this activity.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:09   #6 (permalink)
OFR #7

If your on a tight budget do the easy things first:-

- If your air cleaner is crappy get a K&N. Try and get a deal on the recharge kit and clean the filter every 5,000ks (change oil at same time).

- Check plugs for condition and gap, replace if required.

- Depending upon how many k's your cars has done, check the dizzy cap and rotor button. I couldn't believe how much mine had worn at about 125,000k's.

- Also consider replacing the leads if the k's are as above.

- Clean the MAF wire (if you don't now how to ask us)

- Check the timing. It can usually be advanced a few degrees from standard without any problems.

There are two types of so called remapping to the standard ECU, an interceptor (eg. UniChip) that modifies some signals to and from the ECU by splicing into the wiring, and a Plug In Chip (eg. Chip Torque) that actually reprograms the ECU without any changes to the wiring.

APS Stage II = 267rwkw = 12.16@118.5mph on street tyres
Big Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 02:41   #7 (permalink)
Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mick
If your on a tight budget do the easy things first:-

- If your air cleaner is crappy get a K&N. Try and get a deal on the recharge kit and clean the filter every 5,000ks (change oil at same time).

- Check plugs for condition and gap, replace if required.
I will do so. I have asked a few places for the appropriate K&N air filter and the price ranges from $140 upto about $180. Is there a shop in Melbourne who sell the filter cheaper?

Quote:
- Depending upon how many k's your cars has done, check the dizzy cap and rotor button. I couldn't believe how much mine had worn at about 125,000k's.
Odometer currently at 88,000km's. Can it be sufficiently worn at that age to be a problem?

Quote:
- Also consider replacing the leads if the k's are as above.
Wouldn't know what to expect if they were dodgy other than the engine missing or losing power at certain rpm. What other fault can dodgy leads create?

Quote:
- Clean the MAF wire (if you don't now how to ask us)
That might be a good idea Mick, could you instruct me in laymans terms on how to go about this?

Quote:
- Check the timing. It can usually be advanced a few degrees from standard without any problems.

I have had a mechanic I know, bridge the computer and then adjust the timing down to 29 degrees. So far, no pinging and I am running on Optimax. Is there a particular timing setting that is optimum?

Quote:
There are two types of so called remapping to the standard ECU, an interceptor (eg. UniChip) that modifies some signals to and from the ECU by splicing into the wiring, and a Plug In Chip (eg. Chip Torque) that actually reprograms the ECU without any changes to the wiring.

Do either or both of these chip mods use the same amount of fuel as before or do they increase the fuel input?
Old 03-18-2004, 03:57   #8 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic
I will do so. I have asked a few places for the appropriate K&N air filter and the price ranges from $140 upto about $180. Is there a shop in Melbourne who sell the filter cheaper?
I got mine from VPW for $110 www.vpw.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic
That might be a good idea Mick, could you instruct me in laymans terms on how to go about this?
You need a set of torx screwdrivers, unscrew the electronics from the side of the MAF and spray the two small wires with carby cleaner. Be careful though they are fairly delicate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic
I have had a mechanic I know, bridge the computer and then adjust the timing down to 29 degrees. So far, no pinging and I am running on Optimax. Is there a particular timing setting that is optimum?
Thats the wrong way, 30 is factory, 29 is 1 degree retarded. If you run premium you should be able to advance the timing to around 34-36 without pinging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic
Do either or both of these chip mods use the same amount of fuel as before or do they increase the fuel input?
With most chips, the base fuel ratio can be set the way you want it. Leaning up the engine will give you a slight power increase, I got around 4rwkw last time on the dyno by playing around with fuel mixtures. IMO, chaniging the EEC programing should only really be considered after a lot of mods. It won't give you much on a stock engine but the more mods you have, the better results it will give.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 05:22   #9 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Does the 70mm maf calibrated for 24 inj's need cleaning, I thought the hotwire glows hot as you shutdown to burn off any debris?

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 05:41   #10 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

The maf hot wire is heated to 200*c..
To lean out fuel ratio a fuel reg is the easiest way..Plus going to 70mm maf with correct injectors can help...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech