Ford Forums banner

Conversion Confusion ?!##?

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  chich 
#1 ·
As many of you guys would know, i'm planning to convert my EFII Fairmont to a 5 Litre in the near future. After sitting down and thinking about it properly i've gotten myself confused as to where little things like the air bag sensors, oil pressure switch and things like that connect up to. Are these things in the wiring loom and if so do they connect to the BCM or the computer ? Any help would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
Label them on old engine then extend them if required on new motor...
Don't know about air bags?? They are part of body [front bumper area] arn't they ????

#3 ·
Anyone know if there are substancial electrical differences between series 1 EF's and series 2's? Ideally what i want to do is buy another EF II Fairmont with a 5 litre and swap the drivelines around but i'm wondering if i could also use a 94-95 model EF or alternatively a 96-97 EL. Any help would be appreciated

#4 ·
I have performed this conversion myself, I used an EF11 XR8 motor with the v8 engine loom, the Fairmont dash loom and the Fairmont BCM. It's an approved swap here in SA, so I didn't even have to get an inspection carried out, they just adjusted my rego amount from next renewal.

Everything plugs in, the only thing I lost was speed sensitive power steering, but if you get a Fairmont V8 engine loom it will most likely still have the plug. I can't remember 100% about all the connectors you mentioned, but given that Ford uses the same dash loom for all models it should be all there to plug in with relative ease.

Regardless of what people tell you, you will not need a V8 crossmember, I am using the original 6 crossmember with the v8 mounts and I have had no issues with clearence or stability at all. I had the benefit of a complete donor car to get all the bits and also my mates EF11 XR8 to copy the wiring setup so it made things as easy as possible.

If you end up buying just a motor it is gonna be an expensive job, are you doing it yourself?

#5 ·
You lost speed sensitive power steering??? IMO this is not something you lose...........it is something you throw away and banish from your EL ghia for EVER!!!!

I hated it, it was so wooden and offered no feel. You are a lucky man Fordfan351. Lucky man!

#6 ·
I was originally going to buy a conversion kit from a wrecker and have the work done by either Herrod or my cousin who works for another tuning shop. When it goes ahead it'll most likely be my cuz doing the work. I've gone off the idea of a conversion kit, preffering to buy a complete running car and swap the drivelines around cause i'll use the 6 in the other car and run that up and down to work. I've seen good examples of EF II 5 litre Fairmonts here in melbourne going for 8-11K so theres really no point paying a wrecker 3.5K for a motor and box that you don't even know works properly...

Are things like the oil pressure and the voltmeter switches hardwired to the dash (I.e does it run from the motor to the dash cluster) or does it plug into something like the BCM?
How has everything proven so far with your conversion? Have you had any electrical dramas besides the BCM's blowing or any other mechanical dramas?

#7 ·
The dash cluster plugs into the dash loom which connects to the engine loom and both ecu and bcm.

I payed 5500 or so for the written off EF2 XR8 I used for all the parts I wanted(Motor, Gearbox, LSD, looms, computers etc) I then sold off all the remaining bits including the 6 motor and auto trans and made a fair bit off the cost back(which was then spent on the car anyway)

The conversion has proven very succesful, pretty much like I drove in with one car and drove out with a completely different car all together, the difference is that big. If you get the chance I strongly reccommend going to manual. Thinking about it now, if I had to choose I would go for a manual conversion before a V8 conversion, simply because it makes the car so much more fun to drive, converting to V8 and manual is the best idea tho(nudge nudge wink wink)

I am still having probs with a hunting idle when I use the climate control, basically if I am sitting at lights with the climate control on I have to keep the revs up or it stalls, other than that and the BCM problems, it has been a blissful 15,000 kilometres.

The best is when I take it to a Ford dealership, they spin out big time, cause most of em have never seen a manual fairmont before, I try to convince em it's a factory job for the first 5 mins then spill the beans about the conversion.

Let me know if you do go ahead, I have the wiring diagrams for the V8 somehwere if you want them, theres' prolly a few snags along the way I have forgotten about, but i'll try and help you out wherever possible.

Have to agree re: the ss power steering, I found it to be no different to normal power steering at speed and so sensitive at low speed it would lead to over correction. I also found the level of assitance to change to slowly thus making spirited strops fast and slow corners very unnerving.

#8 ·
Thanks for the insight!! very helpfull... I do really want a manual but truth be told i want both an auto (my Fairmont) and a manual (Audi S4) in the garage so i can pick and choose depending on what mood i'm in!! I know... i'm a fussy bastard aren't i??There's times where i really can't be bothered changing gears so the EF stays auto :(
Its good to see that your enjoying the thing so much... it'll inspire me in times of doubt!!

#9 ·
I don't think the eights has power steering sensers ???

#12 ·
Nah i used the Fairmont cluster, which retained the Fairmont kays, so I dun know if I would've got the XR8 kays, pity I shoulda really, cause it was like 110k on the xr8 cluster vs 170k on the Fairmont pity, it woulda been interesting to see, I only had about 8 days to be ready for the show at that stage and I was having major starting issues so I was really stuck for time, so compromises where made in some areas in the name of making sure the job was done. I had also sold the complete XR8 dash(pre removal from the wreck) to Walkinshaw here in SA along with the interior which he then used for his EA/EF hybrid.

As I understand(at least from what the local Ford dealership told me, and Gregories as well) all upper spec Falcs(Fairmont, FGhia, Fairlane etc) all have the ss/power steering. The V8 engine loom from the EF XR8's definetly don't have the connector for the ss/ power steering tho.

XR8's are based on the Futura, and have the mid level BCM(ie only front power windows, no climate control etc etc) All but one mechanic at the local dealership where pretty sceptical I could combine both computers, and after 2 BCM failures in the first 4 or 5 months I was genuinely worried, haven't had one go since.

#14 ·
Not on the Fairmonts, on the Ghias.

#15 ·
I should've been more specific... did 5 Litre Fairmonts have the lsd as standard? My 4 Litre Fairmont has the standard 3.23 single spinner but lsd was a $200 option, so i'm assuming it would've been standard on the 5 litres???? Any ideas???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.