cooling trouble - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2006, 21:08   #1 (permalink)

cooling trouble

i was wondering what cooling combinations you guys use , i have a mild 351 in an xy but have trouble keepin it cool when im not moving , it has a 3 core radiator like the gt's and 15 inch thermo , i have a transmission cooler infront of the rad the stops me havin both engine and thermo ,
XWHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2006, 22:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: cooling trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWHY
i was wondering what cooling combinations you guys use , i have a mild 351 in an xy but have trouble keepin it cool when im not moving , it has a 3 core radiator like the gt's and 15 inch thermo , i have a transmission cooler infront of the rad the stops me havin both engine and thermo ,
There's been plenty of stuff on this site about cooling - just look on cleveland section.

But a 4 blade fan, shroud and 3 core radiator (all stock items) go a long way to solving problem.

Others who have had problems change from single thermo to twin thermo (off EL-AU I think) and say they work well.
The stock fan needs a shroud though. Oh and the correct thermostat.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:29   #3 (permalink)

yeah i had a look there thanks , i cant fit the au fans in the xy engine bay , anyone else got some ideas , how much beter will it be with engine fan + shroud , i am not currently running a shroud just the thermo and its pulling the air through the rad
Old 01-29-2006, 05:25   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
yeah i had a look there thanks , i cant fit the au fans in the xy engine bay , anyone else got some ideas , how much beter will it be with engine fan + shroud , i am not currently running a shroud just the thermo and its pulling the air through the rad
personally, i think having the shroud is imperative as it allows all the air flow to go through the radiator rather than escaping around the sides, i have original one on my 351xc, along with 71C thermostat which is about 10 or so degrees lower than factory specs, and although the operating temp while driving is lucky to creep more than a needle width above the blue, it still creeps up when stuck in traffic on 40C days, rarely more than 3/4
xc351gxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:15   #5 (permalink)

rarely above 3/4 whats that in degrees do you know , my thermo comes on at 80 deg , was sittin in traffic on a reasonable night in the city and it came to bout 105 , but thats a thermo and no shroud just the one that in-cases the thermo , its annoyin as i cant take it no where if i know im gonna be stop startin , so you think engine fan and 70 deg thermostat and shroud should solve my problems ,
Old 01-30-2006, 07:12   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
rarely above 3/4 whats that in degrees do you know , my thermo comes on at 80 deg , was sittin in traffic on a reasonable night in the city and it came to bout 105 , but thats a thermo and no shroud just the one that in-cases the thermo , its annoyin as i cant take it no where if i know im gonna be stop startin , so you think engine fan and 70 deg thermostat and shroud should solve my problems ,
i cant say exactly what 3/4 is as i just dont know, however specs say that thermostat starts to open at 87- 90C, and should be fully open at 99- 100C, so at a guess 3/4 would be around the 100C mark or more (operating temp usually around 92C). personally i have no preference over engine or thermo fan, except that engine fans tend to rob horsepower slightly, but i do think a shroud is vital just so that the air has to go through the radiator and no where else and a couple of bucks for a new thermostat and gasket is alot cheaper than a cooked engine
xc351gxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech