Couple Windsor Problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2002, 00:47   #1 (permalink)
Not a Twink

Couple Windsor Problems

I have a EFII V8... I generally do a filter and oil change every 5,000km. I went to change it yesterday, and to my horror it was over 2 litres under !

The car doesn't have any noticable leaks... Only from the Distributer, but doesn't look too severe. It doesn't blow any blue smoke as well. Where the hell could it be going ?

It car is also seems to be running fairly rich, revving it up will pump a fair amount of black smoke out the exhaust.... O2 sensor maybe ? I havn't checked the ECU codes (Mainly cos I don't know how, would appreciate any walkthroughs on that :) Also fuel economy has been poor and is lacking power.

Cheers for any help guys.

PS: Hope I don't sound like too much of a newbie :)
honer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2002, 01:32   #2 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Sounds like it could be running as a 2-stroke. A bit of oil in with the fuel would make it look like it's running rich - the ECU system is probably adjusting the mixture so that it still seems to run OK. I'd be looking for the usual suspects - head, rings etc. The oil has to be going somewhere (unless you didn't put enough in last oil change)

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 03:07   #3 (permalink)
Stand clear: 5.0 in use!

Don't forget that the filter will soak up a good litre or so. I always notice that quite a bit less comes out into the drain pan, and I'm not having any probs with mine.

If it was burning oil, you would be seeing plenty of blue smoke out of the exhaust. When mine needed a rebuild, it was pinging SEVERELY in warmer weather. The oil was getting past the rings and pre-igniting in the chambers. I do't think you have too much to worry about. Monitor your level on the dipstick every couple of days. Over 5-10,000 kays it should only drop 0.5l at most. Using some oil on a long trip is normal too- the run evaporates all the unburnt fuel in the engine oil, making it seem as if it's using some!

HTH, Mike

EF Fairmont Ghia, Bordeaux Purple, 5.0 Windsor, Crane cam, ChipTorque modded ECU, full XR bodykit, 16 inch XR8 alloys, 2.5 inch dropped Tickford suspension, full grey leather trim with chrome, woodgrain and lots of lights, climate control, ABS, Premium sound, trip computer, power everything

I can't get enough of this!
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 03:08   #4 (permalink)

Was this measured in the drip tray or at the dipstick?

2 litres is a lot, seeing the sump holds 5. I don't think you could burn that much in 5,000ks, the thing would smoke like a pommie barbeque. What's the condition of the oil that is left? Any obvious petrol smell? Is there a leak around the oil filter, is is still tight? I would give it the oil change, make sure the filter is tight, and watch it for a while. It must be going somewhere, but the low oil would make the engine run hotter and it could have burnt if off.

What is the condition of the plugs?

Let us know what happens.

cheers
Old 11-04-2002, 03:39   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Looks like you need some serious tuning to find what the problem is. How many Km's? I'd first look at injectors, maybe [one]open all time ?? The map senser on your firewall above throttle body.. Maf meter.. Throttle position senser, fuel presure regulator, o2's ??.. Too many to replace so I'd book in for a tune or dyno tune.. You'r air cleaner in good nick ??Check that all conections in the wire harness are good inc battery & earth connections... Oh and don't forget spark plug leads can do this too, in the fuel economy dept...

Iwould say your engine is in top nick though.Runing rich can make it use oil. An oil and or air leak from / into engine does cause heaps of engine tuning troubles for air is entering the engine unmetered..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 18:17   #6 (permalink)
Not a Twink

Cheers guys !

I checked the plugs, they seem perfect. Checked around the filter, dry as a bone. Oil doesn't have any fuel smell to it. I must be way under estimating the leak on the distributer, will change the seal on the weekend and see if that helps.

Car will turn over 140,000k's shorty, so I think (hope) its got some life in it still :)

Also, a mate of mine reckons I should drain the oil, fill it up with 5 litres of kero and run it for 5 mins - to clean the shit out of the engine.. Never heard of this method, it sounds like pure insanity to me?
honer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 20:35   #7 (permalink)
plarsson

Mate what ever else you do don't do the kero thing!

If you find that after wiping it dry and then taking the car for a run its an oily mess again, that the dizzy gasket/O ring and perhaps a weeping rocker cover gasket will be the culprits.
I drove from Brisbane to Sydney once and lost just about all the oil (3.5litres) out of the engine from a rocker cover leak in about 500k.

As for crud in the engine, regular good oil and filter changes keeps this at bay. If you really want to take a short cut and clean out the crud then use a Diesel engine oil with detergents. about 2 oil+ filter changes will have the internals free of crud. Always use a good premium oil, $10 extra on oil is better than $1000 rebuild.

Regards
Pez
Old 11-04-2002, 20:47   #8 (permalink)
plarsson

P.S. 140,000 on a ford V8 engine is about run in, and ready for work. I've put over 350,000K on my Ford V8's with only the regular maintenance to speak of.

Poor economy and indifferent performance may not be as a result your engine but as a result of cruddy fuel at the bowser.
My SAAB 900 Turbo gets a bit finicky and won't party if I fill it with suspect fuel, the engine management shuts the boost down.

My AU2 Wagon tends to be a lot thirstier when I run "cheap" fuel. You will find that if you use brand name fuels then your economy/performance results will be more predictable.

Regards
Pez

Fun cost Money, How hard do you want to laugh.
Old 11-05-2002, 00:31   #9 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Quote:
Originally posted by honer
Cheers guys !
Also, a mate of mine reckons I should drain the oil, fill it up with 5 litres of kero and run it for 5 mins - to clean the shit out of the engine.. Never heard of this method, it sounds like pure insanity to me?
Don't suppose your mate drives a Holden?

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech