crooked rocker arms - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2003, 20:30   #1 (permalink)
hooker52

crooked rocker arms

Ok Heres the problem I heard a ticking soun so I decided to lash the valves. Well when I pulled the valve covers I found some f ed up pushrods. Apprently the guy I got the motor from never replaced the push rods when he upgraded to 351w heads. On the w head uses guide plates and hardened pushrods. Well these were definetly not chrommoly pushrods. Thew were almost worn all the way through. I have some great pics but cant post them because there too big. But any way I called summit ordered 6.25 5'16th chrommoly pushrods (that was the length of the pushrods in the eng.) pushrods $112 w/ shipping. I think this guy didnt measure the new pushrods for the upgrades 1.6 compcam alum. roller rockers, e303 351w heads. I know the valves have been cut but not sure how much. So now and even before I replaced the pushrods some of the rockers sit crooked on the spring retainers and actualy rub some of the rockers have wear marks on the ears where the roller is mounted. I have pics of all this if you would like to see them just email me and maybe post them for me if you know how to make them smaller that would be great but advice is good too. So in conclusion I think I need a diffrent pushrod length and I dont have a tool to do it or know how to do it. But Im not sure that pushrod length would make the rockers sit crooked I just thought of somthing else what if the push rod guides are the wrong size? If I have 5/16th pushrods how large should the guide plate slots be ? Or what should the tolerance be between the pushrod and guide plate? Or could the lifters possibly be worn allowing left to right play in the rocker? I just removed one of the guide plates And I noticed that one of the mounting holes is wollowed out or oval shaped while the other seem normal but the plate slides left and right slightly. Sould the guide plate be relatively stable when the studs are almost tight or should there be no play at all?__________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech