Dam coolant. Dropped its guts. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2003, 01:40   #1 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

Dam coolant. Dropped its guts.

I'm so happy. Just as i got home tonight my radiator light came on (AUII XR8 Ute). So i get home to open garage and i smell coolant. Take it in and inspect and its nearly empty and there's some building on the floor.
I tried searching with a torch but its hard to tell where its coming out. When the motors running its pouring out from the rear of the bottom pully (crank?). Not meaning thats where its coming out of the motor, it may be falling into that area. And its being thrown left and right as the pully rotates. I can't see any water leaks above the pulley looking from above the motor and its hard to see underneath when its running because you get sprayed with hot coolant. It was coming out at a rate which will mean i'll barely get to Ford in the morning. I'd like to know what it could be before they look at it. Any ideas where it could be coming from? Wish i had a digital camera....
-Nemesis- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2003, 01:56   #2 (permalink)

Re: Dam coolant. Dropped its guts.

if u look at the water pump there should be 2 small hols in the front of it uasly oppisite eath other these holes let the water out if the front seal in the water pumpif it is leaking . by drying the water pump area ,then checking under the pully for wetness this may give u an indication of where the water is comming from.
oze50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 01:59   #3 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

Thanks mate, i'll go back out in a while and try again when its cooled some.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:02   #4 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

I just tried again. I can't see it coming out anywhere from the water pump at all. I got under there with the car off and squeezed the bottom hose a few times pumping the coolant through and it started dripping out from where it does. The hoses are all fine, no leaks there.
Its coming out from what i can only describe as i'm no tech head. The sump is at the front end of the motor, at the front of the sump it forms a lip in a half circle around the shape where the main crank pully assembly comes out. Its dripping off this lip, its on the engine side behind the pully. I got under with a fluoro light and its definately not running from the rear gasket of the water pump or anywhere visible above that pully. There shouldn't be any coolant flowing through that part of the motor anyway should there?
Bugger. Bloody Fords.....
Old 11-16-2003, 05:10   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Have you always run coolant? They can corrode around water pump and some times coolant can leak into oil from corroded back plate in water pump.. Whats the oil like ? No coolant / water ??? Could be leaking down from your heater hose or bypass at the thermostate housing...Or even inlet/ head gasget? ...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 05:14   #6 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

Yeah the cars new to me, it had coolant (well it was green lol) and after its 45,000km service i think they flushed it.
I'll go check the oil now, whats the best way to check for coolant in the oil? Just on the dipstick?
Its all under warranty, i just don't want an unreliable car, hopefully its a simple thing. The worst part about it is i've heard some bodgey shyte about the service department at Sinclairs but i don't have any other options for warranty work...
Old 11-16-2003, 05:26   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Yes mate dipstick and check oil filler cap for condensation or foamy oily muck, if it looks like white Moose- coolant in oil... Yep take it to Sinclairs.. Good luck !!! Actually if its that bad don't drive it! It could wreck your bearings etc....Ring them !!!
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 05:34   #8 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

Phew oil looks squeaky clean. So its an external leak i guess.
I don't suppose Sinclairs give out courtesy cars when they're doing service work? Gonna be a pain in the arse this.
Old 11-17-2003, 15:46   #9 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

Gotta love this, they can't look at it till Thursday. This is going to be a headbut session i can tell. So i'm stuck with no car.
Old 11-20-2003, 00:45   #10 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

I know i'm talking to myself here but incase anyone reads this: Turns out Sinclairs were really good, they put a brand new water pump and belt on. They're ordering me a new stereo as the old one had trouble finding the cd's. And they even washed the car for me.
Hopefully it never needs repairs again though...

Previously: AUII XR8 ute which I miss!

Last edited by -Nemesis-; 11-20-2003 at 00:48.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech