different Exhuasts - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2005, 06:19   #1 (permalink)

different Exhuasts

Just wanted to know whether people are using exhuasts that are a little different
EG
curently I use 1 5/8 header 4-1 with 30" primarys into 3" collectors then into a twin 2 1/2 with a H pipe. I am not convinced that this is an efeicient system.
First up I looked at X pipes but i still thought that their had to be a better solution. first up I though GT40 style but getting all thoughs pipes crossing over each other in an already low car was asking for trouble. then I thought maybe 8-1. after looking and doing a bit of maths I found it could be done.

So I am just putting the finishing touches on the headers themselves (will put pictures up this week some time) they are still 1 5/8. the drivers side pipes go underneathe the gearbox and meet into a common collector on the LH side. Then I have worked hard to get the LH header to the same length as the RH side to keep 'timing' up. I have tried to work to 42" long pipes (on good advice by people who own and run genuine GT40s and small block cobras).
So far I have come up with a longest of 45" and a shortest of 37" which when i look at most headers isn't that bad (cosidering my old pipes came to longest 34" and a shortest of 17"). I then thought about actual exhuast size. I see many people running twin 2 1/2 like myself and even more runing twin 3". Yet when I look to guys running 400kw+ turbo engines I have seen as small as a single 3" system. So to this end I am running 3" into a hotdog resonator then exiting before the rear wheel on the LH side.

The benifit I see of this system over my current setup.
Length: I currently use the vehicle for hillclimbs and find it has a lot of bottom end power most of which is unusable and not much up top. so going longer will push the power band up the revs a bit.
90deg pulsing: with conventional 4-1s (exept those guys with flat plane cranks) the pulses into the collectors are not even so only a couple of the cylinders of each bank are really getting a good effect of scavenging. with the GT40 set up you give the benifits of a 4cyl or flat plane crank - pulses entering the clolector every 180deg of crank rotation. With my setup I get a pulse every 90deg rotation so the idea is a stronger low pressure singnal for the next pulse to be scavenged with.
3" tail pipe:reduce noise and I have always thought that its best to get the largest flow through the smallest hole.

Other ideas I have thought of but not used.
Stepping up to 1 7/8" about 7 - 12" from the head - trying to stop reversion and further promote top end. I see F1 use this a lot to broaden power bands.
Maybe a 8-4-1 or a 8-4-2-1 aranged into a more even pulse setup. haven't really reseached these so far as I want to see how my current versoin goes. but maybe like more convetional type (4-2-1) they may give better low end torque.

But as I said anyone else running something a little different or have a crazy Idea that you think is different.
Leadfootracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech

Related Reading: different Exhuasts