Ford Forums banner

Do i have a 302? 351? Help im dumb!

5K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  nudgey 
#1 ·
Greetings...at the risk of sounding dumb after just swapping camps from Holden to The Mighty Ford. Where can i find out about my motor?
Or more to the point ford motors in general.
What IS my 5L 200kw...302? 351? Windsor? Clevo?
I have 2002 AuII XR8 200kw 5ltr Ute...is this a 302??? Help me become wise...cheers Dino :wnc:

#6 ·
So the 302 is doomed to be a lamer. Without spending huge bucks on a rebuild. I was gonna put Pacemakers on it but now i dont think it would be much better for the $$$...what do you think?

#7 ·
Well, they do need a bit of money spent on them before they really come to life.
To make them really breath they need decent heads, although I'm not sure which heads the 200kw engines have, others here may know.

A couple of things you should maybe check first however is if the engine is in good tune. Replace plugs, leads, fuel filter and air filter. Also use premium fuel.

A good exhaust and extractors would be the next step.

Rick.

#8 ·
I have K&N filter and have cut the cats off (legal in NZ) factory headers through to factory muffler, cut rear factory muffler off and replaced with two side by side Cobie resonators..breathes well and in performance mode winds out well...good tune...just wont light up the rear..

#12 ·
Big left foot braking and even bigger right foot on loud pedal.200kw engines have gt40P heads. Yep a good tune does wanders. I see you have a ute!! You must be kiding about not being able to smoke em !!!

#13 ·
Left foot on the brake, right foot on the gas, then keep pushing the gas peddle down, and slowly bring the brake pedal up, some where in between you will find the spot where the engine has the revs to break traction, and the brake pedal high enough to not grip the rear to hard to stop the spinning, bit of practice and off you go, wait for the rain, quiet street, mash the gas pedal to the floor, if they dont spin then, you got big problems.

AND of course if anything breaks dont blame me :0)

Happy smoking,
Jason

#15 ·
I was pretty sure the AU V8's had pretty decent heads maybe a port would make a fair bit of difference. First things first though - get some decent headers and a decent exhaust, factory headers are pretty average.

What are the cams like in the 200kw motor?

As far as not being able to light it up, I used to light up my AU I6 auto in the dry, with just extractors, exhaust, K & N and modified airbox.

Spend a couple of grand on your extractors, cam and maybe give it a port and it'll be heaps more fun.

#18 ·
lol should be anti-traction control perhaps..

My 5.0 smokes the rears easy as with no break and makes less power and torque than your motor, mine is manual tho.

Congrats on the purchase tho, i'm sure you will have many enjoyable hours behind the wheel. And dun worry even a Windsor in it's lowest state of tune will smoke em up easy, they make very useful torque downlow and make driving a cinch in any conditions, just keep practicing using the aforementioned techniqs

#19 ·
Try the 70mm T/B from the 220kw sedans good headers, port the GT40p heads and inlet manifold, unichip and then try a cam, 2030 would be a good one, or you can fit ST2070 rr's (1.7's) and then try the 2031, a little more lump though.

Big stall will produce big smoke!!!!

#20 ·
How long have you had the ute for, may i ask? The auto box is adaptive. Look in your book and check for the different settings.
My son had one, till he traded for a BA XR8 ute, and he showed me the difference between the "sports" (?) setting and the "Towing" setting. heaps difference.

Someone here may be able to advise you as i have only a EF XR8, which is different. Just a power switch. Even that smokes it up somewhat due to Pacemakers and a twin 2 1/2" system, oh and the K&N filter ofcourse.

I believe that is an important item to check out as it may be set at the most economical setting.

Regards

Jon

#21 · (Edited)
Thanx for all your input...it lights up big time with left foot braking...all the mentioned mods are gonna be implemented...i was hoping the 302 would spin the feet in the dry from standing on the go plate without the use of the brakes...just had 60,000k service/tune...much more fun now...think the computer was still adjusting to new K&N filter...anyway thanks again...alson cheers for the info on the heads, i was wondering what they where.

#22 ·
I still don't reckon you're into it enough from a standstill. I know the P zeros are sticky so you should either be lighting them up or bolting into the sunset like a cut snake Deano. I have a 185Kw with auto an I can light up the Dunlop FM901s pretty easily ......... sometimes too easy.

#23 ·
I think we are all talking about a different thing here, he want's to be able to smoke the rear's from a standstill without jumping on the brake's,mine wont do this unless I jump on the brake's,I dont think the Windsor's in stock form from Ford are capable of doing this.

#24 ·
galaxy xr8 said:
I think we are all talking about a different thing here, he want's to be able to smoke the rear's from a standstill without jumping on the brake's,mine wont do this unless I jump on the brake's,I dont think the Windsor's in stock form from Ford are capable of doing this.
Yep, exactly what I'm talking about. If I can do it with a stock 185Kw Windsor motor and std auto, I'm sure that the 200Kw+ motors would have no worries. Don't get me wrong, there is a technique in it but it can be done with practice.
I never need to left foot brake from a standstill to smoke em.

#25 ·
bossxr said:
Yep, exactly what I'm talking about. If I can do it with a stock 185Kw Windsor motor and std auto, I'm sure that the 200Kw+ motors would have no worries. Don't get me wrong, there is a technique in it but it can be done with practice.
I never need to left foot brake from a standstill to smoke em.
Mine wont, so tell us how it's done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.