Double EGR spacers... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2004, 23:13   #1 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

Double EGR spacers...

What would be the advantage in using two EGR spacers together after the throttle body?

Would it lower the maximum torque rpm, or have an affect like the phenolic spacers in increasing torque maybe?

What happens when no EGR spacer is used?

How about modifying two EGR spacers to act like the 'herrod air injection unit'.
Maybe a 65mm TB, into a modified 60mm EGR spacer, into a modified 65mm EGR spacer onto the 70mm intake opening....? (maybe I think too much) .
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2004, 02:06   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: Double EGR spacers...

2 EGR plates would increase low down torque a bit, but the problem I think you will find is that you will need a much sharper bend in the intake pipe (from the airbox to the TB) which will hurt airflow. If you run no EGR spacer, and no EGR valve, you will push the power band higher but you may also have pinging problems associated with running no EGR.

I wouldn't worry about the air injection thing, as I think it only has real benefit if the TB is too small for the engine.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 02:24   #3 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

Thanks EDXR8,

I am currently using the AU TB and EGR spacer (without the EGR valve) and the car seems to go well.

I just thought of putting the old 60mm EGR spacer (with valve) on and matching it to the AU 65mm TB and EGR spacer either side of it.
I would like to go with what ever is most beneficial to street and strip driving and Iím guessing this is probably the single AU 65mm EGR set up?

Anyone taken their EGR spacer out completely?

Any other thoughts or experiences would be interesting.

Last edited by dodgie; 03-28-2004 at 03:41.
dodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 14:36   #4 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

My understanding with the spacers was they increase the length of the runners. Having 2 EGR plates wouldnt do this would it? I always thought the runners were measured from the surface that the air reflects off (the flat part inside the manifold) to the valve or where ever.

Anyway with 2 EGR plates you would need to increase the length of the studs on the manifold.
Old 03-28-2004, 14:52   #5 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
My understanding with the spacers was they increase the length of the runners. Having 2 EGR plates wouldnt do this would it? I always thought the runners were measured from the surface that the air reflects off (the flat part inside the manifold) to the valve or where ever.

Anyway with 2 EGR plates you would need to increase the length of the studs on the manifold.
I was prepared to increase the length of the studs on the manifold. I just didn't know what the advantages would be if any in using two (or none)...
What ever is clever is what I will go for, just thought it was an interesting question.
Anyone with an experience in doubling, or omitting their EGR spacer?
Old 04-01-2004, 03:29   #6 (permalink)
Damage Fixxer

Emitting the EGR spacer, or configuring it to not open will cause emission problems, and also it ill mess with the computer because it has a vital sensor on the side of the EGR valve. I have recently had trouble with mine, and found a second hand one that fixed the fault. The exhaust gasses that are re-used are also there to work with the o2 sensors, otherwise it will run rich and chew fuel. As was my problem. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2004, 17:25   #7 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

I am using the AU EGR spacer (with no EGR valve) and the car has not noticeably changed in behaviour, though I donít know how good the emissions are.

I didnít think the EGR valve was necessary as Iím sure other people have used the AU spacers for their E-series without any dramas?

This is what led me to thinking about the effect two EGR spacers together would have.
Using the original 60mm EGR spacer (with the valve) between the AU 65mm TB, and the AU 65mm EGR spacer, and matching them together.
Might just do the experiment, though the results may be difficult to compare when the car wonít be on a dyno.

But as EDXR8 has said
ď2 EGR plates would increase low down torque a bit, but the problem I think you will find is that you will need a much sharper bend in the intake pipe (from the air box to the TB) which will hurt airflow. If you run no EGR spacer, and no EGR valve, you will push the power band higher but you may also have pinging problems associated with running no EGRĒ

Having read that it could be worth giving the two EGRís a go!
Might see if I can get another 65mm EGR with the valve fitting and put two 65mm EGRs together.
thoughts???

Last edited by dodgie; 04-02-2004 at 06:37.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:36   #8 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

I've been running no EGR system whatsoever for the past 5 years with no affects at all.

I'm not sure what you are hoping to gain with twin EGR plates but it would be a waste of time with no measureable HP or torque increase.

I know this comment is opposite to what is preached about the upper intake runner lengths etc but IMHO they are already way too long.

I have been running my own design upper manifold also for 5 years (when I ditched the EGR) and it gave me an appreciable increase in upper HP but the increase in torque was massive !!!! My vehicle is 2500kg and I have no problems getting 11-12L/100.

Can't show you the actual manifold but as you will see its obviously nothing like the original as its under the cover box in the pic.

JD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3s.jpg (32.0 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by ozrunner; 04-04-2004 at 06:56.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 06:49   #9 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

Is that the manifold in this thread?
painting engine cover

Just found your website...
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~jonhel5/
Interesting stuff!

Last edited by dodgie; 04-04-2004 at 06:56.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:59   #10 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

LOL, man you were quick as I was editing my post and attaching a pic.

Answer is yep.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ozrunner/graphics/3s.jpg

JD
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech