Drive belt on 200kw V8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2003, 04:21   #1 (permalink)
AU3 Falcon XR8 Ute (auto)

Drive belt on 200kw V8

To put it simply - how do I get my drive belt off?

<--- This is my car - 200kw motor in it (with air con. fitted).

I just dunno how to release the automatic belt tensioner. The manual shows a tensioner with a square-drive hole in it so you can just whack a wrench on and lever it - I've seen this in some Falcons, but mine is different - smaller looking tensioner assembly with no square-drive hole in sight. The pully pretty much covers the hole tensioner assy. anyway - it's not out on an arm like the others.

Anyone know?

Thanks.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2003, 08:36   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

I don't know on the AU's, but can you just pull the belt off in any other spot. In the E-series V8's, the belt easily comes off the top-middle pulley, then when you put it back on, you just feed it around all the pulleys and use your body weight on the belt to pull the tensioner in and get the belt around the last pulley. If that makes sense, its hard to explain.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 01:29   #3 (permalink)

Re: Drive belt on 200kw V8

Yeah, makes sense EDXR8, I know what you mean. I'll have to maybe pull the cover off the engine and have a look if there's a spot where I can do that.

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2003, 21:53   #4 (permalink)

I had a bit of a look at the belt - you could probably pull it off by hand like you said, if you had to. It doesn't look as easy as it sounds on the E-series though. So, I had another look through the manual. Like I said, in the 'correct' section, it only talks about the type of tensioner which I don't have, but... as I was reading through the power steering section, I found the instructions mentioned for my sort of tensioner :)

So, for ppl's information...

You just use a wrench with a 15mm socket on the end, and put it on the bolt which holds the tensioner pully on. Then you just rotate it clockwise (just like you were tightening up the bolt) and it will rotate the tensioner and release the belt - simple. (Always pays to read manuals all the way through I guess - never know what you might find :)
Old 09-26-2003, 22:59   #5 (permalink)
100MPH Hunter

Hey steve,

I just wanted to know why you were doing this???

AUII XR8 (200kw), Silhouette, Body Kit, Hawk Wing, 5 Speed man, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, Genie Extractors, 3" exhaust with twin 3" tips, K & N filter with air scoop, Polished Inlet manifold, MAF & 70mm T/B, T series interior handles & Gear stick ring, Chequer plate, Momo Pedals.
TwinPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 08:06   #6 (permalink)

G'day. I ain't doin nuffin :)

I just wanna know how to, cause, er... everyone should just know how to change their drive belt I guess :-) Y'know - what if I was out driving and the belt snapped - I'd wanna be sure I knew the (proper) way to change it - either way I'm gonna have to change it at some point. So that's all - no reason as yet.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:50   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

As you have read the EB to EL belt is "released" by using a 3/8" ratchet.

As for the AU, if you look at the front of the tensioner pulley there is a nut/bolt, use a socket and ratchet, on that to move the tensioner.
Chris Nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 07:34   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, I just found that in the manual as mentioned above, but I appriciate the help.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech