early 351 winsor? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 07:53   #1 (permalink)

early 351 winsor?

Help,
I have I beleive to be a early model 351w, it has the L-shaped water passages.
It also has 8 intake bolt holes on the heads. The aftermarket intake that I used when building the motor the first only had provisions for 6 bolts on each side of the intake. I had problems from the very start with small amounts of water getting in my oil. I have torn it apart again. I purchased another aftermarket intake (Edelbrock #2181) only to find it has 6 bolts on each side of the intake as well.
Is this acceptable?
Why the missing 2 bolt holes?
Any intake install tips?

Thanks,
Ranchero Gary
Ranchero Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 19:51   #2 (permalink)

Re: early 351 windsor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchero Gary View Post
Help,
I have I beleive to be a early model 351w, it has the L-shaped water passages.
It also has 8 intake bolt holes on the heads. The aftermarket intake that I used when building the motor the first only had provisions for 6 bolts on each side of the intake. I had problems from the very start with small amounts of water getting in my oil. I have torn it apart again. I purchased another aftermarket intake (Edelbrock #2181) only to find it has 6 bolts on each side of the intake as well.
Is this acceptable?
Why the missing 2 bolt holes?
Any intake install tips?

Thanks,
Ranchero Gary
Hey Gary you have a 351 Cleavland motor (8 bolts for the head and intake) another ID trick you can use is that the water neck where the thermostat goes on the Windsor models face the radiator where as the Cleavland models face up to the hood *side note the 302W's deck height is 8.2" where as the 351W is 9.48" 1969-1970 & 9.5" 1971-1996 the 302 [BOSS] 1969-70 Cleavland is 8.2" 351C 1970 - 1974 is 9.2" & the 351M/400 1975-1985 10.297" Ford Racing Performance Parts - [2010 Catalog] will let you download their catalog as a .pdf and will give you a MASSIVE amount of info such as deck height and really cool parts too and NO I don't work for them I d/l their catalog every year they come out.
wrksnfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:42   #3 (permalink)

Re: early 351 winsor?

The W has the thermostat in the intake & the C has it on the block. Pre '77 W has 8 intake bolts per side & '77 & later has 6 bolts per side. You might have to look on EBay for the 8 bolt intakes.
George1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 18:09   #4 (permalink)

Re: early 351 winsor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George1861 View Post
The W has the thermostat in the intake & the C has it on the block. Pre '77 W has 8 intake bolts per side & '77 & later has 6 bolts per side. You might have to look on EBay for the 8 bolt intakes.
Well there's something I didn't know but thanks.
wrksnfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech