Ford Forums banner

EB 5.0 - which alloy heads?

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  ELXR8ben 
#1 ·
lookin at doing heads on my car some time this year.. alloy ones, maybe edelbrock... what are good ones for an eventual 300kw?? (that'l be with stroking, but that coming much later)

i dont wanna pay heaps either..

later gonna do cam, intake manifold, maf/tb, to match(and hopefully pull 230+kw), but i'm gonna start with heads/HR rollers..

gimme some suggestions with rough price estimates..

#4 ·
185cc for 347 gives you room to grow..TFS's T.W are slightly cheaper but no cnc...

#5 ·
You will need something like AFR185's especially if you are going to stroke it.

You mentioned cheap, well, they are not as cheap as the rest, but they are the best out of the box street head available. Big power never comes cheap. How much do you want to spend?

#6 ·
i dont know what to expect for prices, hence my question... but 3 grand should cover it yeh?

whats the going *rough* price for a set of AFR185cc then?

edelbrock performer 5.0 heads can be had for just over 2g with valves/springs.

#7 ·
I had to port my Edelbrocks to make 300kw with a 302

My AFRs cost $3,000, but they cost about $200 more than that now.

If you get stud mount heads you will also need stud mount roller rockers. (if you have RR's now, they are most likely pedistal mount) You really need stud mount if you want 300kw to support the stronger springs and revs required.

Like i said, its just money. How fast do you want to go?

#9 ·
yeh i was expecting that kind of price Racer. accoording to AFR ~1750US for the 165s with valves/springs and 25 more for the 185s. ideally, my 300kw figure will be attained with 347 cubes and hopefully under 6 grand.. if it means, say, i get only 280kw after stroking coz i gotta run a conservative cam and redline at lower revs then so be it. i dont want a screamer, just a nice strong street motor. but right now, i jsut want good heads that i wont have to upgrade later on.

how fast do i want to go? faster than i am going now. want to hit low 14s after doing heads/intake/cam/RR/TB/MAF, and later low 13s. one step at a time tho, and my first step is heads. AFR 185s seem to be the go yeh?

#10 ·
#12 ·
I would probably stick with AFR185's to go with stroking, but you will have to find out about the stud mount problem.

#13 ·
Well I have been doing a lot of reading on the matter and for my own purposes, for a mild 5L streeter with reasonable manners, it seems that my original thought was pretty well on the money.... GT40X with a Crane 2030 cam, or AFR165's with 2030. Quite a few guys in the US running these combos in their Mustangs making reasonable power, but more importantly, it seems they are more than happy with the driveability and torque delivery.

Can get a pair of complete GT40X's landed to my door for under $2k AUS which isn't too bad!

Another huge benefit for me in sticking with Ford heads is that NRMA will keep insuring me!!! Amazing!!

#14 ·
SIDEWAY said:
How much are the rickflow alloys and are they recommended?

YEP about the only head you can use 2.02 inlet valves without notching pistons...Track Heat has stronger springs etc..

#17 ·
ebxr8240 said:
http://www.protopline.com

Would have to be best bang for buck at under $2k...
so you all know, these are the heads i'm gonna go for.. good article on them in perth street car. i wasnt sure since i hadnt heard about them(fair enough, i have limited knowledge in these things) but the article explained how these guys have been making quality stuff for yonks. and also showed how well they flow without porting.

185cc runners, alloy, with valve train $1900 a pair, IN STOCK in perth.

what chamber size would i want? 64cc or 58cc??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.