EB GT Engine Components - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2003, 01:57   #1 (permalink)

EB GT Engine Components

Anyone know the components used on an 5.0 EB GT engine that are different to a 165kW 5.0? GT40 heads and intake? 24lb injectors? Larger MA/TB? Higher compression? Unique computer (part number would be great). What is one worth? A local wrecker has just got the car in, and I want to know what the value of the engine/computer is before I go and make an offer.

Thanks in advance.
Tris
xafalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2003, 03:04   #2 (permalink)
Mr Slippery

i havent got the part number you require but was wondering why you want that motor.

Do u know that they were way under their quoted power mainly because ford didnt have the power steer aircon ect hooked up when testing em and that a p plater in a stock vn V8 with sports exhaust can blow you away? I've driven a real EB GT manual and lets say its not worth mentioning.

I'll give ya some advice if u choose to ignore it good luck anyway but your best bet is getting Edelbrock heads and intake manifold with a real cam and some pacemaker tuned lenght extractors feeding back into a 3 inch system and your gonna make enough power to give even the 300kw gen 3's a scare anyway thats all from me :) cya
Old 01-24-2003, 07:35   #3 (permalink)

They were a 93 Cobra engine with the GT40 Tubular manifold. The Cobra engine was rated at 240Hp but looking at the mods it had compared to the stock windsor (220hp) it probably had a little more than that, and US dyno numbers prove that .

Add the better manifold it should have been making nearly 268hp/200Kw.
Only thing would be that it was tuned for 92RON octane fuel whereas the the Cobra would have been 92MON (around 95/96RON)

Even so the EB GT should have been quicker than what the Mags ever got, the 93 Cobras have ran as quick as 13.9 in the US stock, and they're only about 150kg lighter.

Oh, and EBGT dynoed around 140kw at the wheels at the Tickford Dyno day, about the same as an ED Sprint, but the GT had over 200,000kms on it, the ED had less than 100k.

Mine dynoed 127 and it chops VN V8s
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 18:23   #4 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

after pricing a gt40 set up(without puter) i have to go with tyre toaster here. the edelbrock gear is excellent value whereas the fms gear is a ripoff for the meagre kw gains.
compare the price of the 2 intakes along with the flow capability of each and you will understand what i mean.
i also priced a set of the "great" gt40p heads.....for an extra 400 bucks i could get the edelbrock performer alloys.
give vpw a call mate, they have it all.

on the other side of the coin, if you can get the gt engine for reasonable cost, do a heart transplant (cam) and spring change which should bring it to life.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 23:12   #5 (permalink)

Yep nak302, now you're thinking what I'm thinking. Change the cam and springs, and wake the engine up. Mill the heads for some extra compression. That's why I'm interested in what other parts went into the EB GT engine. I'm hoping 24lb injectors, 65mm TB, the GT 40 intake (confirmed above), GT40/GT40P heads are all a good starting point for cam update to B303 or something similar.

Now, can anybody confirm any of the other possible engine components?

Thanks so far everybody
Tris
Old 01-24-2003, 23:32   #6 (permalink)

93 Cobra specs

Intake
65mm Throttle body,
FFRP Cobra intake

Camshaft
F3ZE-6250-CA
1.7 roller rockers

Heads
F3ZE-6049-AA
GT-40

If you want specific camshaft specs I can post that up also
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 00:03   #7 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Parts other than what you mentioned were:
65mm t-body(same as Cobra)
70mm MAF(same as Cobra but uses an adaptor for Falcon airbox)
1.7 roller rockers(same as Cobra)
EEC used was 2DDA auto, 2DCA manual(Same as ED sprint).
BTW the cast Cobra style upper actually outflows the fabricated GT40 upper. This is because the cross-tube(from t-body to plenum) is squashed to fit between the bolts on the GT40 upper, whereas the Cobra/Sprint upper has increased area cast into it to reduce the restriction.
The main problem with the GT apart from the weight is the poxy standard headers used.

BTW don't use a B303 cam it's old hat these days.
An E or F cam is more like it.
The Cobra manifold is on a par with the Edelbrock and is cheaper than the Edelbrock too. The GT40 heads(not to be confused with GT40P heads) can be ported to flow extremely well but, a set of other aftermarket heads is a more cost effective mod.

Pete.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:17   #8 (permalink)
Mr Slippery

I have always been a fan of port your own and wack in the bigger valves.
Problem now is factory ford heads suck weather they b gt40's or gt40p's they are both designed to meet pollution and fuel restrictions whereas aftermarket stuff is designed for performance.

Not to mention that the Windsor is an old motor now and those ford heads really arent a huge improvement from the old days. If you want to do a half cooked motor get the second hand eb job put cam and springs thatíll put more stress on the tired bugger and give you next to no power until the day u rev it and it throws a rod.

A word of advice i can give you now is donít try to do things the quick and easy way because the result is never the same. on the other hand if you donít mind just slapping in someone elseís leftovers and hopping for the best knock yourself out.

Just quickly going back to your VN comment and Iím not a Holden fan by far but I tell you what have a look at an over done body kitted VN on my homepage. Its stock except the bigger diff ratio it got recently and it will blow away the EB Fairmont on my page like its standing still.

As far as bullshit mods go the EB has em all cold air intake big exhaust aftermarket extractors bigger air flow meter 9 inch diff with 4.11 ratio and a whole bunch of other useless shit and time after time the stock VN will destroy it so if your blowing away VNís like there nothing with 127 rwk you must be picking on EX-Taxis or something anyway ill leave it at that as Iím not after another bullshit ford versus Holden argument.
Old 01-25-2003, 15:04   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the information everybody. Now I know what parts the engine contains I will enquire about price. What would be a fair price for engine/wiring harness/computer? Milage is unknown, so I guess this makes my question difficult to answer.

Thanks again
Tris
Old 01-26-2003, 02:06   #10 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Quote:
Originally posted by TyreToaster
I have always been a fan of port your own and wack in the bigger valves.
Problem now is factory ford heads suck weather they b gt40's or gt40p's they are both designed to meet pollution and fuel restrictions whereas aftermarket stuff is designed for performance.

Not to mention that the Windsor is an old motor now and those ford heads really arent a huge improvement from the old days. If you want to do a half cooked motor get the second hand eb job put cam and springs thatíll put more stress on the tired bugger and give you next to no power until the day u rev it and it throws a rod.

A word of advice i can give you now is donít try to do things the quick and easy way because the result is never the same. on the other hand if you donít mind just slapping in someone elseís leftovers and hopping for the best knock yourself out.

Just quickly going back to your VN comment and Iím not a Holden fan by far but I tell you what have a look at an over done body kitted VN on my homepage. Its stock except the bigger diff ratio it got recently and it will blow away the EB Fairmont on my page like its standing still.

As far as bullshit mods go the EB has em all cold air intake big exhaust aftermarket extractors bigger air flow meter 9 inch diff with 4.11 ratio and a whole bunch of other useless shit and time after time the stock VN will destroy it so if your blowing away VNís like there nothing with 127 rwk you must be picking on EX-Taxis or something anyway ill leave it at that as Iím not after another bullshit ford versus Holden argument.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the VN comment yours?
That EB fairmont must have all the wrong mods if it gets blown away by a stock VN.
One glaring mistake is the 9" and/or 4.11's and a bigger MAF is not necessarily an improvement on a near stock engine, the extractors and exhaust may be too big also.
What you say just proves you have to do the right mods not just any mods.
A GT40 engine is certainly a better starting point than a stock HO.
BTW my 370 000 Km EB 4.0L keeps up with stock VN 5.0's. It's got pacemakers and a genuine EB XR6 2 1/4" exhaust that I picked up from the wreckers and a Crane Hi-6. It made 160 rwhp and has done a 15.7 @ 94mph. Ive since removed the enormous bullbar that it had which should be good for at least a tenth!

Pete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech