Eb Xr8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2003, 02:37   #1 (permalink)

Eb Xr8

Hi ive got an EB XR8 with 190000 ks on the clock. I will be getting a new exhaust system soon. But after that what should be moded on the engine for more power some people tell me to get a bigger throtle body, or cold air intake. I want eventualy around 220 to 250 kw at the flywheel so what will be a good starting point. Also what power will the standard auto take.

Thanks
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2003, 03:06   #2 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Start with the exhaust and exhaust headers. Next, you might want to look at upgrading your intake, including throttle body, MAF, injectors, upper and lower intake manifold, and ECU. Next comes a head and cam change, with new valvetrain and possibly fuel system mods. Starts to get pricey!

You'll be needing all of the above to hit 250kW from the unstroked 5L Windsor, most likely.

If you are after a "kit" type of deal, have a look at Herrod Motorsport, they offer a range of complete mod packs from mild to lively stroker / blower kits.

At the end of the day, it just comes down to how much you want to spend!
Old 05-27-2003, 01:45   #3 (permalink)

So Say with the herrod option do they fit it all up or do i just get the parts and have to get it put on someware else?

Also does herrod have a website or something so I could check out what gear they have got?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2003, 02:57   #4 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Yep they can fit and supply, or just supply. They do have a website, www.herrodmotorsport.com :s6:
Old 05-27-2003, 03:11   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I say again... stroker is best bang for buck (although not cheap) and gives you better idle quality if you use a larger cam etc
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 04:51   #6 (permalink)

Where abouts could I get a better intake and throtle body from.
And with the throtle body does it require any special gear to put it in? It dosn't realy say on there website but would they have a bigger throtle body and intake that can bolt straight up??
Old 06-03-2003, 01:55   #7 (permalink)

i'd go for exhaust system first a cat back single 3in or dual 2-1/4 with glass pack mufflers - around $500
then go for air cleaner (K&N) in std air box ($120) and get it tuned properly or buy an american mustang book to learn more about the engine
250kw is a bot much for a 5.0
then get
*cam - around $700
*adjustable fuel pressure regulator - $400
*70mm tb and 77mm MAf - aftermarket $400 & $400
*edelbroke performer intake - $1000
*gt40p heads or better - $2000+
*and extractors to suit and high flow cats - $1000+
*then u gotta tune it fot the upgrades on a dyno maybe get bigger injectors and fit a bigger fuel pump, msd ignition, thermo fans, elec water pump, and so-on and you prob will just get 250kw at the flywheel
or get a super charger to get 250kw - $5000+
get a turbo system imported from the states - $5000+
or stoke it - $4000+
only a turbo or supercharger will ad value to your car the other stuff will be wasted once u sell it

well thats my 2 cents
i expected big things with my eb 5.0 but i was disapointed so i have just done the cat back system, a few tuning upgrades and a 3.9 ratio diff so it feels fast.
EBV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 19:42   #8 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

As said, a capa supercharger kit at around $7k would be the easiest way to go for around 240-250kw.

At 190000km, your bottom end would probably require a rebuild to cope with any major mods. I have just done a complete rebuild and upgrade to around 250+kw and love the result, although it was not cheap.

IMO, first you want to look at exhaust, extractors, K&N air filter and larger EL XR8 snorkle and then some thermo fans to replace the stock belt driven fan.

Next, look at a bottom end rebuild if possible and get it properly balanced. Then look at some heads, the GT40P's are great value for money especially if you pick up some tickford 220kw modified heads. Edelbrock/GT40/cobra or explorer intake with a 65/70mm TB, roller rockers, good cam, MAF and larger injectors etc..... Just remember before you start, its going to be EXPENSIVE!!!
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 20:19   #9 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

As EDXR8 said......EXPENSIVE!!!

I'm looking at a goal of getting as much hp out of the standard efi setup and bottom end by just putting the bolt-ons first. They would the most effective and affordable mods you can do. Then get into the pricy stuff like bigger injectors, MAF, cam, intakes etc.

Like i said, have goal or a set of stages to work towards. Each stage being a major enhancement. Then you will get your satisfaction out of it!
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 20:59   #10 (permalink)

EDXR8,

Forgive my ignorance but when you refer to the "larger ELXR8 snorkle" are you referring to just the snorkle itself? Or does the box the air filter sits in and the pipe up to the throttle body need replacing to match the larger snorkle?

Thanks
AdamEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech