Ford Forums banner

ED 5.0 missing on petrol.

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  MADNC_8 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have an ED 5 litre that misfires on petrol (also hs gas and runs perfect). Misfire only occurs when the torque convertor locks up at 80kph. When the revs come up to around 2000 it dissapears?

On gas it runs fine so I dont think its an electrical problem. I have replaced the leads with genuine ford + plugs. Have a new rotor plus cap but have been reluctant to fit. Throttle body has also recently been cleaned by my local dealer.

Thinking it could be a bad injector patern or stale fuel?

Any other ideas?

#5 ·
my NC was missing pretty badly just after i got it at startup and around where you say yours is doing it.

what i found was on the dizzy cap, the contact that touch's the rotor was broken, and it had huge black areas all over where it was arking to 'try' and get a spark .

anywayz new cap and button, new leads (tehy were due for replacement) and she was all good again

i will warn (scare) you though from ford spare parts (teh only place you can buy a 5 litre dizzy cap) the list price is $233.43 and the rotor button was list $24.53

thank goodness i get ford employee discount $118.18 + $13.64 seems like a much better price

btw you should run the car on petrol at a minimum of: on startup, and shutdown, and 5 kms after starting/before coming home if its possible

this will keep injectors from dying

#6 ·
I agree with NC.

It could be the Dizzy and Leads. Basically everything that should have been replace or done at the 100,000 service.

Although if is was elect problem you would experience it with both fuels!

I bought my distributor and leads from Eagle Performance in Dandenong. Sorry can't remember the prices but I'm sure it was cheaper or better than Ford. (otherwise I would have gone to Ford)

Get the injectors done and make sure you replace the 'O' rings as well, if they are really bad, the filter also.

#12 ·
XR8 Lamah said:
Dizzy cap for $200+ :WTF: !?!?
For the EL8, bought one one a coupla months ago from a local spares place for like $35, another $15 or so for the rotor button . . .

sheeeiiittee . . . its 95% plastic . . .
I agree, bought cap and rotor in Jan this year for roughly the same price as XR8 Lamah. I couldn't believe how much the old ones had worn and no mechanic had picked it up. Too damn lazy to pull of the cover plate but just charged me for the time anyway!!

$US30 = $A46 +postage, duty, GST etc. Cheaper to buy in AUS!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.