EF Fairmont Conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2005, 00:03   #1 (permalink)

EF Fairmont Conversion

As most of you know I'm doing my homework in regards to converting my EFII I6 to V8. My original plan was to buy a complete car however its been rediculously difficult to find a 96 V8 Fairmont with a decent amount of kms. So lately i've been thinking maybe I'm better off buying a conversion kit from a wrecker. This being the case, there are many more possibilities such as the opportunity to fit a newer XR8 or Fairmont engine. So basically the intention of this thread is to list everything and to get some advice and confirmation as to what works with what and what possible problems these components may cause. Here we go...

1. Engine and Auto
Ideally I'd like the V8 and auto from an EFII Fairmont as to minimise the possibility of software/hardware conflicts however I understand I'm not limited to only this. Possible engines/autos could also come from any EF/EL XR8, Fairlane or LTD as the hardware should be the same.Please correct me if i'm wrong. In terms of auto trans computers, I believe the V8 had a seperate unit which worked in conjunction with the EECV ECU whereas the I6 trans computer was integrated with the engine ECU. Anyone know where the V8 trans ECU was located?
V8 K frame and engine mounts should be universal across the whole EF/EL range so they shouldn't be a problem.

2. ECU
If sourcing from a EF/EL Fairmont everything should be all good and well however what happens when using an XR8 ECU in combination with the Fairmonts high series BCM? (Fairmonts and above use high series).

3. Engine Harness
Again, if sourcing from an EF/EL Fairmont everything should be hunky-dorry. I6 EF Fairmonts have speed sensitive power steering - can anyone confirm if the V8 version also has this feature? Did the Fairlanes/LTDs also have this? I know for a fact that XR8s don't have s/s power steering as there is no provision on the harness. Assuming a Fairmont harness was used in conjunction with an XR8 ECU would the s/s power steering work?

4. Radiator
Not too sure about the radiator specs across the models or series (EF/EL). I assume the same radiators would be used across the whole I6 and V8 range however i'd like confirmation of this. Obviously the hoses would be different.

5. Air box
Again, I suspect the air box would be identical across I6 and V8 variants. Intake plumbing would be the same for Xr8/Fairmont etc.

6. Exhaust
I know the I6 and V8 used the same oxygen sensor however did the V8s have one or two O2 sensors? I imagine they would use one per bank for diagnostic purposes. Not too fussed about the standard setup as I'd be inclined to run a twin 2.25-2.5" system with a pair of 2.5" Di-Fillipo extractors.

Thank you all for your help in advance. I know there would be a few questions in there that a few people would want to know the answers to. Another thing to keep in mind (I know someones gonna suggest it) is that fitting a blower/turbo to the 6 or selling the car and buying one already equipped with a 5 litre is out of the question. I know its going to be expensive, I know it doesn't make financial sense but at the end of the day
the car has too much sentimental value to even consider getting rid of. And as for the I6 i'm aware they can be turned into absolute balltearers with a relatively simple turbo/blower installation but whats the point of driving something you don't really want?

Cheers,
Anthony
chich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2005, 07:19   #2 (permalink)
i'll never grow up

Re: EF Fairmont Conversion

conversion is reasonably simple. complete motor , gearbox and wiring harness. and both engine and trans Ecu..
radiators 6 and V8 are same. K frame same. Diff same, tailshaft same. t-bar same. in dash wiring same. the conversion from a wreckers should be a complete long engine with all sensors wiring, computer and accessories. p/steer lines, a/c and lines etc.
trans computer is located from memory under the front of the console..
air boxes are the same the Maf will bolt to your 6cyl air box.
6cyl steer racks have apress switch where v8 does not this will still operate fine just pressure switch is no longer used. Body control Modules have no concern to Engine Management.BCM in EF-EL change through every model, sedan, wagon ute gli, ltd, ghia all different. Ef will have 2 O2 sensors, but issues like this should not be a concern.. you get a complete motor with a harness that plugs in at the firewall.
i worked for both the below number's and one of them will be able to give you a competitive price on a conversion.. 02 9774 5184 or 02 9892 3948.. expect about 1800-2500 as a good price. anything above is too dear.
95 Mustang GT 302: VQ-S2 Vortech - Edelbrock Intake - BBK 70mm TB - UPR Boostpipe - TwEECer - Walbro 255 & T-Rex fuel pump - MSD btm - Crane HI-6 - 36# injectors - Pro-m 80mm MAF - Kirban FPR - FMS 9mm leads - FMS 3.73 Gears - Transgo Shift kit - B&M cooler - Saleen guage pod, FMS Boost and FP guages - R/H drive - Eibach Springs - Holley headers, http://www.meales.com.au
gtcoupe95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 18:54   #3 (permalink)

Thank you very much for your comprehensive response gtcoupe. Seeing that the V8 doesn't have a pressure switch on the rack I think it would be safe to assume they don't have s/s power steering. I've been quoted about $3,500 for a kit from a 97 xr8 which i thought wasn't too bad but then again i'm not in the wrecking business!
Old 04-25-2005, 04:01   #4 (permalink)
i'll never grow up

being EL XR8 it is not too bad seing you have gt40p heads intake, bigger TB etc if EF xr8 or EL gli etc then too much..
and im pretty certain only ghia ltd's had speed sensitive racks.. which i assume would be controlled via the BCM i suppose unless they have their own control unit
95 Mustang GT 302: VQ-S2 Vortech - Edelbrock Intake - BBK 70mm TB - UPR Boostpipe - TwEECer - Walbro 255 & T-Rex fuel pump - MSD btm - Crane HI-6 - 36# injectors - Pro-m 80mm MAF - Kirban FPR - FMS 9mm leads - FMS 3.73 Gears - Transgo Shift kit - B&M cooler - Saleen guage pod, FMS Boost and FP guages - R/H drive - Eibach Springs - Holley headers, http://www.meales.com.au
gtcoupe95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 22:23   #5 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

I thought EL 2 XR8s still had the E7 heads? But they came with other goodies like Explorer intake manifold, larger MAF & T/B...

This is an uneducated suggestion, but if you can score an AU V8, you'll get the GT40 (GT40P?) heads :D Not too sure about the other ancillaries though...

Or, EL2 XR8 motor, then swap the heads with some nice alloys

Good luck on the conversion mate

-Dave-
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 03:42   #6 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

As far as I know they still had the E7 heads yes.
AUGhiaV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:31   #7 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Hey hey Marcus, speaking of heads, I can't wait til june/july!

Cheers mate,

-Dave-
Lows
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

Old 04-26-2005, 04:40   #8 (permalink)

I know for a fact the EL2 XR8's had 185 kw but not sure what heads they used. Not too fussed either way because the heads will be thrown out when I'm happy all the bugs are ironed out and I start chasing some horsepower.

As for an AU engine it is possible but I want to keep it as simple as possible. I know the auto had a different shifter position not to mention the wiring headaches.. Too much work!
Old 04-26-2005, 05:52   #9 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Ahh ok, I spose an E-series engine would be the go then, initially cheaper to get due to lower-spec heads

Hope ya find a suitable donk soon mate

-Dave-
Lows
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

Old 04-26-2005, 06:56   #10 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Hey hey Marcus, speaking of heads, I can't wait til june/july!

Cheers mate,

-Dave-
Me neither!
AUGhiaV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech