Ford Forums banner

EFI 302 Windsor Fuel Economy...

23K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  4.9 EF Futura 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just wondering what sort of Fuel Economy is expected from a EFI 302 Windsor (This case in a ED).

Around 16-20L Per 100 sound Normal?

Cheers

Extreme

#8 ·
When my engine was only 5lt (Stock) I had an average consumption of 12.5L/100km. This consisted of 80% highway (Geelong to Port Melb) and 20% city.
This is based on a total of 14000km.

Rebuilt performance 5lt (170rwkw) I had an average consumption of 12.35L/100km. This consisted of 80% highway (Geelong to Port Melb) and 20% city/giving it s&%t.
(including run in period) This is based on a total of 14500km.

Since it's now a 5.6lt I now have an average of 14.6L/100km, consisting of about 50% highway (Geelong to Port Melb) and 50% city/giving it s&%t/Calder park drags....etc
(including run in period) This is based on a total of 4200Km.

#9 ·
Std I could drive to Albury easy on a tank.In fact the guage showed just under 1/4...Thats filling up at Cambeltown to Baronia Melbourne.
Now driven hard it would nearly burn up a tank from Penrith to Cambeltown...Nearly!!!
But driven EASY fuel consumption is o/k..Lattley I have driven from Penrith to Toukley return on 1/2 tank towing trailer..The nut behind the wheel makes the difference in fuel consumption...Infact when mine was std a friend who had an ED 6 used more fuel than I did on a trip to Snowies..

#11 ·
I have to agree with the above. If you're seeing 20L per 100 in a 5 litre you would be giving it a fair flogging. I average between 12.5 and 15.5 city driving out of a tank. I find it easy to keep under 14.0 if I drive sensibly. Country cruising can see 10 per 100 no worries.

#13 ·
I have just done a Melbourne to Canberra and return in my AU3 XR8. I went to Canberra via Princes Hwy, Monaro Hwy and got exactly 10lts/100km. I returned via the Hume and got 8.9lt/100km. The trip via the Princes Hwy used less than I expected considering the slowing thru towns, winding roads etc. I had the whole family and luggage in the car and a/c on 90% of the time and had the cruise on when possible. My suburban driving usually averages 14.5lt/100km.

#14 ·
I got from Melbourne to Adelaide on one tank of Shell Optimax, 730Km.

Around town it's around 15-16L/100km, I can get it lower if I try, but I don't much.....

#15 ·
I average around 15 l/100km in my auto AU1 XR8. Best I've seen around town is 13.5, worst around 17, but 14 to 15 would be my average. If the missus drives it, she gets around 11.5 to 12 l/100km - about the same as she gets in the I6 wagon. Towing my 1.6 tonne boat to Bateman's bay and back, I get around 20 to 25 l /100km (20 on the way there, 25 on the way back). If I do the same coast trip without lugging the boat, I get 11 to 11.5 l / 100km. On the hume to Sydney, I get 9.5 l/100km (whihc includes some city driving as well, but mostly highway).

#16 ·
well round town its from 13-14 and on country its 10-11

#18 ·
Dad's DC3 LTD had an average of 14.4L/100km (~20mpg) over roughly 100k km. I remember a trip to Canberra on one tank he got 8.something, and towing a motorbike trailer on the highway it was sitting on 10 on the instant display. His DL LTD had exactly the same average. The usage was country town and highway, so very little heavy traffic although he did do a lot of running around town.

#19 ·
My EBGT did 13.5 and a mates stock EF 5L did 12.5. So I think yours is a bit thirsty..

#20 ·
My dead stock EB Fairmont V8 used to get an average of 14.5/100 but I drove it a bit hard. It could easily have averaged in the 13's if I was a little more subtle. On the highway it was in the 10's.
The worst I got was a little over 150kms from 1 tank. That was a blast I took in the Qld country when there accelorator was either flat to the floor or I was on the brakes for most of the time. That V8 could suck fuel given the chance. I remember the trip meter instant readout pegging at 99l/100kms most of the time that trip...but that was a special case.
To be honest, it wasnt that much thirstier than my XR6 is now.....except I drive the XR6 a lot harder on a day to day basis, love to see the needle hit the redline.

#21 ·
I dunno what's going on with my car (stock EB V8, auto) but it's been getting better & better with fuel economy.

After the GOR cruise, I filled up at 520km, with 100km left in the tank (10c/litre price difference b/w pakenham & gippsland). I was expecting to get maybe 350km to *that* tank...

On the highway I find that I'm now getting low to mid 9's per 100km.

For normal driving (85% highway/country, 15% urban/"fun"), I'm geting low 11's per 100km.

I'm using whatever the cheapest 91RON fuel is that's available, and I haven't changed my driving style, yet it's running sweeter with every fresh tank :wtf:

Oh, and it's due for a service :angel:

-Dave-

#23 ·
Cruising around i'd say 14L/100km about right. Foot down, not exactly sure but its a LOT. Maybe 2-3L per km? or 200-300L/100km. A lot....

#25 ·
Thanks for all the feedback so far guys..

Basically with my car...i only drive it on the weekends...so say i put in $40 of petrol...(fuel gauge orignally on 1/4)...it goes up to over 3/4 full (as indicated by gauge)...i find with 2 full days of driving its back to just over 1/4 again...i cant tell my exact km usuage as the odometer/trip meter is currently out of order...ive tried babying it around as well it seems not to make a difference..

I think i may have a dud sensor somewhere perhaps?

Extreme

#26 ·
!Gn|T|0n said:
:AAHHH: 200-300L/100km! You must get little more than 32.5km from a tank! Boy those blowers are thirsty :wnc:
Yes with foot down/boost up i get a fair bit of pressure building up in the fuel rail thanks to the FMU.

But when crusing ive found its actually an improvement over standard consumption. Just gotta resist temptation.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.