efi onto carbi 302w - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2006, 15:50   #1 (permalink)

efi onto carbi 302w

hi guys,

I have an xm coupe with a 302w. was looking at putting efi from late model 5l on it. has any one done this mod and does it fit under the bonnet? I realise that I may need to remove the firewall brace and will replace it with some bar type brace..

Is there a certain year/model of manifold etc that I should look at getting?

What should I expect to pay for it? I will be putting it on myslef with help from a mate.

The 302w is standard as far as I know.

What would be the best computer to use? Has anyone had any experience with those DIY EFI kits you can get off the net??

What are the list of parts I will need??

I was looking at going straight LPG but its a few dollars to get a decent setup...

Lots of questions for my first post!!!!

I have just bought another xm coupe that I will be rebuilding as well....

Thanks for your help....brendon
xmcoupedeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2006, 21:44   #2 (permalink)
Classic not Plastic!

Re: efi onto carbi 302w

Hey XM,
Have you considered dropping an entire EFI windsor into your car?
The blocks are just about identical, plus they are a full roller motor. I read in an old performance Ford Mag where a guy with a green XP coupe with a full injected motor and instead of putting the same model box behind it, he stuck in a BA gearbox with the semi auto. His reasoning was that it was more fun and that it was able to handle the extra torque as he stroked it. He was doing low 14's with a cruising diff.

I entertained the idea of setting up efi on my ZD for a while, but after tuning and changing the 350 Holley to a 500, I was getting better economy around town and cruising that my V6 Commodore!

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing your car turns out, no doubt every man and his dog will be giving different advice.

Good Luck!
Rhett Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 00:01   #3 (permalink)

Hey Rhett,

I will be dropping an efi 5l into my next coupe project... I was just looking at doing this mod to my existing xm coupe...as I thought I could get a bit more economy/ reliability than with a carb...

plus I didnt think it would cost too much...my other option is going straight gas, but I think that will cost more to set up...

this is a daily driven coupe and I'm not shy with the right boot

Oh yeah..the computer I was thinking about is the mega-squirt...real cheap to set up...but you have to sort the tune etc, yourself with their program on a laptop...

thanks anyway mate...
xmcoupedeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 00:56   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmcoupedeluxe
Hey Rhett,

I will be dropping an efi 5l into my next coupe project... I was just looking at doing this mod to my existing xm coupe...as I thought I could get a bit more economy/ reliability than with a carb...

plus I didnt think it would cost too much...my other option is going straight gas, but I think that will cost more to set up...

this is a daily driven coupe and I'm not shy with the right boot

Oh yeah..the computer I was thinking about is the mega-squirt...real cheap to set up...but you have to sort the tune etc, yourself with their program on a laptop...

thanks anyway mate...
Have a google for the web site from the bloke in Wa with an injected clevo in a ute , you have the right computer and to keep things low use two throtle bodies ( e series) on a custom manifold as you would with dial su carbs , if I can do it so can you and good luck .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 17:10   #5 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Brendon if you go EFI with a factory manifold you will need to do something with the strut tower braces as the passanger one is in the way of the manifold upper. or do what Atec77 said with the custom upper.
Old 03-15-2006, 13:48   #6 (permalink)

I made my own plenum and throttle body combo.

The megasquirt is a relatively easy solution for a cheap ecu. You can run closed loop (gamma correction) right through the rev range if you are after economy.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:55   #7 (permalink)

I've got that exact set-up running in my XM coupe.
Apologies for the cross-forum reference but have a look here
http://tffn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5362

I've had this running for a few years now and am pretty happy with it. If I ever re-do it theres probably a few things I could do better (hindsight is marvelous) but in general, it's very good.
The ECU is a Hawk unit from Melbourne, one of those you can play with on the lap-top while running.
If you want to know any more, just ask
Cheers
Wazza
warren1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:26   #8 (permalink)

G'day,
i asked this question a long time ago. Wazza was kind enough to send me the pics of his....which he kindly posted a link to.

His strut brace modifications are quite nice. Which also leads me to the question. Are the strut braces on an XM bolted or welded?????

I actually have an XL ute i am planning this mod to, also using the Electronic 4 speed auto, enabling a shorter diff ratio for towing.

An earlier suggestion is just to use the FULL EFI 5.0L, a good suggestion for the reason mentioned....its full roller

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 14:00   #9 (permalink)

There's a couple of things to remember if going the full late model engine.
The sump will need to be changed out for the 289 version as it's the "front-sump" configuration.
The oil dipstick will probably need relocating to the timing cover to suit the front sump. OR you could change out the front dress of the engine to old style which already suits the front sump.
I've used 65 Mustang exhaust manifolds on my car & they fit beautifully. Had to grind off the choke boss to clear the steering box though.
Also, try to get a set of US '63 V8 Falcon engine mounts instead of the aftermarket ones as the original ones sit the engine in just the right place. Mine is currently too far forward & high for my liking, but will soon be changed to the US mounts.
Of course, these are just my suggestions based on my project, there's probably many other ways to skin this cat.
Cheers
Wazza
warren1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:13   #10 (permalink)

Warren,
interesting on what you say about the dipstick. Unless i could get a super short serpentine belt, then i was planing to change all the pulleys etc anyway.
Not going to run P/S or A/C unless i get a RRS Rack.

Kow of a serpentine kit for this application utilising only a alternator?

Cheers
JAs
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech