Efi removal - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2005, 04:49   #1 (permalink)

Efi removal

I have done a headgasket on me truck and need to take the heads off.. anyone know how to correctly remove the efi system? I have heard that a tool should be made up? details?

It is an 88 5.0L Windsor in an F-150

Cheers

Stangas
Stangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2005, 07:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: Efi removal

I guess you're talking about the fuel rails. You can buy the correct tool from most auto parts places. The rest of the manifold removal is quite simple. Just label everything you take off with masking tape and black texta if you're not sure where it goes. Everthing unplugs electrically and is straightforward and you need to remove the heater hoses and accelerator cable. Leave the fuel rails and injectors on the manifold, just disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel rails. Be carefull as it is under pressure and will prolly squirt you in the eyes. Take the upper manifold (plenum) off first and then you will see all the manifold bolts. Hope this helps.
blueprinted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 22:50   #3 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprinted
just disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel rails. Be carefull as it is under pressure and will prolly squirt you in the eyes.
If you leave the engine off for a while, doesn't the pressure drop down? Especially if you're parked uphill

-Dave-

'91 EB Fairmont Ghia V8.
Pacemaker PH4000 extractors
Meaty semi-twin system
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 17:38   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangas
I have done a headgasket on me truck and need to take the heads off.. anyone know how to correctly remove the efi system? I have heard that a tool should be made up? details?

It is an 88 5.0L Windsor in an F-150

Cheers

Stangas
I find it easier to undo the the four bolts holding the fuel rail and lift the whole lot out of the way including the injectors, If the injectors stay in the rail you won't lose fuel pressure.

But the F150's lose fuel pressure overnight anyway.

It might be a good idea to clean/service the injectors if they have't been done for a while.

Check for cracks between valve seats as this can be a problem on windsor heads, The main indications are loss of water out the exhaust.

Greg.
GHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech