Egr - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2003, 18:04   #1 (permalink)

Egr

My 85 grand marquis has been getting very poor mileage, anyways I found that the egr valve was not connected to the vacuum line would this have caused the poor mileage? 302 with autolite 2bbl carb
85GMarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2003, 07:50   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Egr

Not realy. It may affect timing on distributor. But good spark leads, plugs,cap etc can do wanders..Good tune too...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 11:56   #3 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

Welcome to the forums.

Did it make a difference when you plugged it back in? I would try a new set of leads, plugs and a tune, that always helps.

Have you got a few pics of your car? I don't think i've seen an 85 Grand Marquis before.....
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 13:15   #4 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

It should not make a difference in the mileage. Atleast one that you would notice. Now stumbling may have been noticable, but doubtful that mileage would be.

Aaron: it is a US car. I can dig up some pics if you want.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 15:14   #5 (permalink)

I havent takin it out yet but ill find out tonight. Ill post some pics when i can get to a scanner. The plugs wires and all that had been replaced. The fuel filter was a little loose at the carb so it could have been leaking there. Ill see what happens.
Old 10-27-2003, 18:48   #6 (permalink)

A disconnected EGR will not cause poor fuel economy, the EGR valve meters a quantity of exhaust gases back into the combustion chambers, since the exhaust gas is inert and will not burn it reduces the efficiency of the engine, this reduced efficiency lowers the combustion temperatures and reduces the amount of NOx emmisions. I am very familiar with the Grand Marquis, they are a great car, but very big and heavy, especially the mid '80's are not known for great fuel economy from new, the problem is more in the cam, compression, and heads.

Then you say poor milage what are you getting?
Old 10-29-2003, 08:45   #7 (permalink)

I was getting around 7mpg in the city and maybe 15 highway. Lately its been around 16 city and mid 20s highway.

Hmmm what cam and heads would be better suited to the car?
Old 10-31-2003, 07:40   #8 (permalink)

Oops I used the wrong conversion from kms to miles. The mileage is still only about 12 in the city. This seems pretty low to me. Would there be anything i could check that would affect the mileage?
Old 10-31-2003, 08:01   #9 (permalink)

That is not surprising, but take a close look at your catalitic converter, they will plug and cause very bad gas milage, a good tune-up, make sure the timing is advanced to the factory spec's or even a bit more (to set, disconnect the vacuum advance, using a good timing light increase the rpm until full mechanical advance is obtained, then at that rpm adjust the timing to 34 -36 deg, finally reconnect the vacuum advance). This will usually provide the best milage and power, but watch for detonation and adjust the timing down if any is suspected.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech